dynamo marking

General electrical problems
derekmalcolm

dynamo marking

Post by derekmalcolm »

In building up E3hm and E3L dynamos I have come to realise that the marking on the bodies are in different positions so my question is about what is the correct location for the text. The images on the web are contradictory. I believe that with the gear towards you the lettering should be the correct way up and on the far end of the body for the E3HM dynamos and on the near end for the E3L dynamos. Is this correct. Thanks
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: dynamo marking

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Derek
Not sure about the short ones (H) but I'm building my long ones (L) with the text right-way up and next to the gear-side (as you've described above).
I think the field coil in the long ones is slightly offset to get it directly over the armature windings. I can't remember if it's the holes in the body or the holes in the coil core that give the offset, but it may be that the body itself is symmetrical. In that case which way round the text was might depend on how the field coil core was put into the body.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
derekmalcolm

Re: dynamo marking

Post by derekmalcolm »

Simon
Thank you for your response. I know that they will work with the casing round the wrong way but in trying to get everything as it was originally I am keen to at least get the arrow on the casing to match the direction it is spinning.
Thanks again