ARIEL LEADER SHOCK ABSORBERS

Trev Sellars

Re: ARIEL LEADER SHOCK ABSORBERS

Post by Trev Sellars »

See picture attached.
From centre of mounting bush located at bottom of shock to top of shock body (excluding rod), = 13 inches in old money fully extended.
Including rod up to start of thread = 14 3/8
Not sure what it would be when compressed. I can get a few guys to sit on the bike and measure if that helps
For a modern alternative, with the top bush mount can be removed to accept a threaded rod, try these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185256154007
Attachments
shock 2.jpg
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

Hi Roger
I must have the rest of the drawing for that shock absorber so I will look it out. Not sure where you’re getting the grease nipple from. There is a grease dimple, filled during manufacture though.
I have copies of the original barrel drawings if you don’t already have on file?
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Beg pardon I automatically read nipple instead of dimple. Never hears of a grease dimple before. Would love a copy of the cylinder drawings as we have very few 2 stroke drawings
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

The whole of the original 1956 damper drawing should now be attached for your files. Where can I view them all?

These are a fascinating peek into the past and a reminder of my early days manufacturing experimental parts for trials.
The control of updates on those drawings as the project progressed was critical but didn’t always happen, leading to chaos on the production line!
I can see that those grease dimples you noted were an addition from 1963

I will find the cylinder drawings at some point too.
Attachments
194B5878-D308-41CA-9428-8D3C9C28D520.jpeg
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Many thanks Ivor. One of my first jobs as an apprentice was to find out how up to date all the various copies of the drawings were throughout the works. The latest, not surprisingly were in the drawing office but the least up to date were on the workshop floor, which could be up to 2 years out of date!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Saw these on Ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294169076307
They fit a 125cc Piaggio scooter which weighs only 5Kgs less than the arrow. Might be of use?
They sell for around £85 per pair. Plus they are adjustable too.
shocks.jpg
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi you can try Hagon shock absorbers he makes all types of shocks for all types of motorcycles , he has made custom shocks for me
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

The Paiggio units are an interesting option. Shame it’s for a 5kg lighter application but I bet our 60 year old springs are way softer and fitting these units would give a firmer ride.

The Hagon, custom made units would be a step up, maybe fitted with chrome springs of the correct rate they could be the solution.
Maybe excluded by price for many of us unless a joint, bulk order could be placed.
Any takers?
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Ivor, I did e mail Hagon over a week ago, with the original drawing, weight of bike, my weight and still heard nothing.
I reckon he would be in the region of £170 a pair.
The Piaggio units ae adjustable, so may take up the 5Kg slack!
I reckon the original shocks were made for a low price, (budget) anyway, typical British manufacturing at that time.
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

Thanks for the update Trevor, please let me know if you if you ever get a reply from Hagon