Gearbox oil leak

Singles, twins and fours.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Gearbox oil leak

Post by robin.parker »

Hi, Can anyone suggest a reason why my GB40 Gearbox leaks oil along the speedo cable? The oil drips off the catenary curve, (how's that for a nice word) of the cable. More importantly, how can I fix this leak?
Thanks, Robin.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Gearbox oil leak

Post by david.anderson »

Robin
With the GB gearbox the oil leak is often between the plastic outer cable and the crimped on metal end of the speedo cable. If that is the case the easiest fix is to slip a bit of electrical shrink wrap over the metal end, starting close to the nut and extending well down the cable, then set it off with a heat gun. Shrink wrap is a thin plastic tube that shrinks when heat is applied and is available in a range of sizes. Get one that just fits over the cable end. It is available from electrical trade supplies and some hardwares. It worked for me.
It is also possible that the oil leak is out the speedo spindle bush. After removing the grub screw at the bottom this bush can be removed and the O ring around the outer can be replaced. Make sure that the speedo drive gear comes out with the bush.
David
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Thanks David, That's given me 2 starting points.
Robin.
david.birkett

Post by david.birkett »

I had the same leak from the speedo cable on my FH. I changed the O ring twice before realising the leak was from the swaged end. A new cable from Drags sorted it out. The old cable was also damaged where it had been nipped by the steering stop lugs and the new cable was not too heavy on the wallet.
David B.
julian.murphy

Post by julian.murphy »

Robin.

Maplin is a source for heat shrink sleeving. Also cpc.com, or a friendly electrician.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Well friends, I've been to Maplin's this morning (Hi de Hi!---cringe) purchased some heat-shrink sleeving and applied same to the swaged joint on my speedo cable, so it's just a case of wait-and-see, I hope that works 'cos it'll be a cheap, quick and easy fix. After much poking about and digging with a bradawl, I found the Grubscrew in case I have to replace the "O" ring in the drive, cleaned up the screwdriver slot and yes, it will come out if neccessary, thanks for the pointers.
Robin.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

And, so far so good, no oil leaking along speedo cable, I'll look again tomorrow.
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Robin,
What size heat shrink sleeving did you get from Maplins for your speedo cable ?

Regards,
Keith Mettam.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Keith, From Maplins I bought a little variety pack of heat Shrink Tubes, all about 100mm long, I used the size which would just fit over an 11mm drill, which was a tight push over the alloy end of the outer cable. (you can stretch it a bit with long nose pliers internally) Trim off the after shrinking, leave about 15mm on the alloy, to allow you to fiddle the nut over, and leave as much as you like along the cable outer. No sign of leaks today, and previously there would always be oil on the floor overnight.
Maplins pack "Kemo N83FX"--SO58 £4.19 "Heat Shrink Tubes" approx 15 pieces. It's much cheaper from "Vehicle Wiring Products" it would make sense to buy a selection for stock, it's so useful and cheap from them.
Thanks again to the guys who gave helpful advice, after a few more days and a road test to confirm, I'll do a short new post which may be useful to those who haven't been following this thread.
Robin.
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Many thanks Robin. It seems to be a common problem that these cables leak oil from where the metal sleeve at the gear box end is fitted. My cable has wept oil at this point from new (from Drags) and I have a bit of duct tape sealing it at present. Heat shrink would be a much better long term solution and look neater. Maplins do 1 metre lengths of the individual sizes a lot cheaper if you know what you require. Best bet seems to be the way you have gone and buy a kit with a selection of shorter sizes which may be handy for other jobs in the future.
Thanks again,
Keith.