Locks while kicking (Ariel WNG)

Singles, twins and fours.
william.forsth

Locks while kicking (Ariel WNG)

Post by william.forsth »

While kicking my Ariel WNG it some times lockes up, and I have to move the back wheel a bit in either direction. Just seems like a odd problem. any thoughts on this? Normal or a problem in the gear box?
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I really don't like the sound of that. Or the feel in this case. I would definately investigate that before riding the thing too far. the kicksart quadrant mught have some rubber from the stop jamming it Nev
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

<topic moved to four stroke>

Getting the gearbox cover off is pretty easy
Have read through this (the bit about lining up is at the end)

http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ?f=4&t=378
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
william.forsth

Post by william.forsth »

Hi - thanks for the replys, and for changing it into the corect four stroke section, I am just used to my DKW NZ350 being a two stroke, so I just asume that all smaller CC:s are that. I will investigate further, and if I find something intresting, I will post it here in the forum. Right now I cant get the thing started, for what ever reason, and it allways started on the first kick when I tried itbefore I bought it. After I got it here, it just ..... *sigh*
adrie.degraaff

Re: Locks while kicking (Ariel WNG)

Post by adrie.degraaff »

This is a common problem, coused by the fact that owners are giving the lever an angle where it should be upright (vertical), the first tooth is just to slide in, not for full weight.
So weld the first (half) tooth back in place and place the lever as should, look at factory photo's.

Starting procedure; clutch in 2 kicks (to free the clutch), keep the lever at an angle, valve lifter in to go passed compression, kick in to live but don't go back to top until running.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

there is I seem to remember a steel ringed rubber stop which if worn or not in place will give the same lock-up .

dave
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

And the bits of it can jamb things. I replaced all mine with nylon with a steel ring. Nev
william.forsth

Post by william.forsth »

Those nylon / steel ring replacement ones, , where can I get those?
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Drags sell the original parts

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
william.forsth

Post by william.forsth »

Dave> "Drags" I guess is short for Drag an fly??? If you have the chanse to make a link to them that would be superb :-)