For Sale / Exchange

cymon

For Sale / Exchange

Post by cymon »

Just bought and recieved a E3L dynamo through eBay - very excited until I last night realised I needed a E3LM (NH 1957)
Anyone out there needing a E3L and / or have an E3LM that they are willling to sell / exchange with.

Alternatively is there a way of moderfying what I have bought to work on my NH - what is the difference between the two
Both are : Eccentric armature, 3” diameter, Long body 60W

Cheers
Cymon
1939 BSA WM20, 1955 Ariel NH, 1951 Landrover 80'
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: For Sale / Exchange

Post by john.nash »

Isn't the difference the mounting plate; one fits to the engine crankcase and t'other to a magdyno ?
What you need is just a scrap E3L for the mounting parts, something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-DYNAMO- ... 3379395bed

Could an expert just check what I said :D
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
cymon

Post by cymon »

Thanks for that Josh, scartching through my box of goodies - found the traingular plate that shows on the ebay item you flagged (FYI - tried to bid on that and they clearly state - won't sell to international buyers).
Struggled last night to get the gear off the front of the armiiture to have a look see how it fits on - will finish it off today.
Suspect however that the E3L has a differend armiture ending than the E3LM - i.e. the dynamo gear on the E3LM (for singles) are keyed in whereas with the E3L the gear winds on with a backing nut.

Have an order enroute from Draganfly which includes the dynamo gear - which should get here in a few weeks - will then be able to determine then if it will fit or not.
Failing which - a new / 2nd E3LM dynamo will have to be purchased.
1939 BSA WM20, 1955 Ariel NH, 1951 Landrover 80'
john.nash

Re: For Sale / Exchange

Post by john.nash »

Yeah. DUH.
You're right.

200752 E3L Taper shaft armature
200754 E3LM armature

Armatures are the expensive bit and, unfortunately, the part that is liable to pack up.
Very few places rewind and they are sold new.

If I were you, I'd think hard about selling your existing one and buying the right one.
Even then it's a gamble on the functionality of the armature.

Are you in the AOMCC ?
If so, then I don't mind buying the odd parts, for members, (as I am aware we have alot more of this stuff in the UK) and shipping it on.
Paypal can be used to cover the cost.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

I recently got a new armature for a VH 60W dynamo from APL (they advertise in OBM), collected at a recent Cheltenham autojumble, at a reasonable price compared to what is charged elsewhere.
The owner advised that the supply of new armatures is getting low, and he had started to rewind armatures (I supplied the existing armature for exchange). Its worth giving them a try, they also go to the VMCC Shepton Mallet autojumbles.