Stay single when hot!

Singles, twins and fours.
T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Stay single when hot!

Post by T Batnes »

The last couple of years I have been pondering over reasons why my W/NG "Scrambler" has been so sluggish - it has not been able to create a distance between itself and a mate's standard W/NG, even when fitted with a HC piston (7,5:1 slipper) and a Franklin P2 cam (HS Mk I '54). Sure, I opted for the twin port head double exhausts for looks, and expected that it could rob some speed - but not in this manner. I am more heavy set than my mate, but anyway... I couldn't get him even down hill... So I have looked everywhere else for an explanation of the slow pace... I mean, a practical top speed of barely 55-60mph, which drops significantly in hills, is not exactly quick. I managed to persuade it to do 65 mph on a couple of occasions, but then it would nip the exhaust valve as a punishment for beeing tormented like that.

A suspicion abot the twin port head beeing what to blame grew on me after reading an article about the Husqvarna engineers testing hot cams in different JAP singles during the 20's. A twin exhaust JAP lost speed if fitted with a hot cam, and a similar but single exhaust JAP went significantly better if fitted with the same.

I therefore got out the original one port W/NG cylinder head from the parts bin, ground in a couple of new valves, fitted new valve springs, gave it a lick of paint and fitted it. No other things done. Just swapped the heads, and fitted a standard single exhaust and silencer instead of the double fish cans. Now it really flies. No problem of hitting 60-65 in an instance, easily keeping great pace in hills of up to 4-5% gradient, possibly a top speed of around 70-75 if needed - but I don't like to stress it to such high revs.

But the main benefit is that it now flows along at ease in 50-55mph, and instantly squirts up to 60-65 if needed. It also pulls sufficiently strong in 4. gear down to 30mph, and can pull away from as low as 20-25mph without jerking or spitting, so it's very easy to just potter along on it too... I couldn't be more 'appy!

Conclusion; a Franklin P2 cam (HS Mk I '54) will make your W/NG quicker and stronger, but only if you keep it as a single exhaust. Explanation must be that the exhaust flow/speed in a double exhaust is so low, due to the large area of the pipes, that the necessary "suction pulse" from the exhaust pipe becomes to weak to help with cylinder filling, which is what you want in the first place, when fitting a cam with more overlap between exhaust and inlet timing. As well, when this benefit from larger overlap is lost, the only thing the large overlap will do is lowering the actual compression ratio, making it slower than it was originally - exactly the same as the Huskie-team found out almost 100 years ago. So, don't go for the good looks of the twin exhausts if you are fitting a hot cam. Stay single.
20220508_183936.jpg
20220507_210637.jpg
Last edited by T Batnes on Tue May 10, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Stay single when hot!

Post by Steven.Carter »

I've heard before that twin ports are slow, might be the same reason my Huntmaster goes well on a siamese exhaust. Also less cleaning :D

Nice looking bike
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Stay single when hot!

Post by john.nash »

When I switched from a singleport 500 to a twinport, the drop in performance was noticable. Not as much as what you seem to have experienced however.

However, i'd already invested in a new exhaust system ... and now the single port head/barrel is on another bike.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....