Wanted +30 big end shells for 1956 square 4

john shepherd

Wanted +30 big end shells for 1956 square 4

Post by john shepherd »

Greetings to you all this is my first post on this site hope someone can help , about 2 years ago i bought a 1956 square 4 mostly in good condition apart from the engine, about 30 years ago it threw a rod upwards and smashed part of the alloy bridge across the crankcases I made a alloy piece and had it welded in it now looks excellent, the previous owner had the crank reground and is now -- 030" ( done by Healeys ) but he did not get bearing shells , I am now thinking about putting the engine together but cant get + 030" shells , I don't want to take away any more lives from the cranks so has anybody got these bearing shells ?
Kind Regards
John Shepherd .
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Just to confirm they will be .030 undersize. If you have some old standard ones that are white metalled you can remetal them (The shells) and machine them out to the U/S size you require. Babbit metal is what they originally had, and is probably still the best. Check the "crush" in the rods before you machine the bearing shells out. Keep them in the pairs and rods they are machined in . Remove your crankshaft gallery plugs and clean the oilways carefully. Nev
john shepherd

Re: Wanted +30 big end shells for 1956 square 4

Post by john shepherd »

Hi thanks for your reply engine was stripped down to last nut and bolt so could not miss sludge traps I have since found out that Reed's classic m/c
is waiting for these shells to be delivered which is good news. This is not my first sq 4 I bought LTX 777 in 1978 for £150, a 1952 2 piper and totaly bebuilt the bike Regards John .