Upper fork bushes. Urgent.

PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Upper fork bushes. Urgent.

Post by PeteL »

I am in the process of carrying out the Ray Blackwell "Improving Ariel Telecopic Forks" modification to my '52 VH500. At the same time as fitting the better quality replacement fork tubes that I eventually got from Drags.
(Please do not start on pursuading me that Eddie Dow type dampers are better, I live amongst bumpy country roads, not a race track ;) )
I thought I had everything I needed. Got the extended damper cones and all other bits, or so I thought :roll:

My top fork bushes are too short. I need 1.3/4" (longer would be Ok, I can shorten them) My existing bushes are only 1.1/8" and will not work with the repositioned drillings in the fork tube.
Drags are out of stock, so is Single Spares and Wassel's who apparently produce them won't say when they will be available. And in 3 weeks time I want to be on my way to Caernavon for the Long Distance Run.
So if anybody has some spare top bushes sitting on the shelf, even "slightly used" would do, I could be your friend for life! (but not compulsory :oops:)

I'm also stuck for fork tube top nut adaptors if any body has those, but if necessary I can probably get a pair of them made.

The rest of the bike is now well sorted and ready for the run.
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Upper fork bushes. Urgent.

Post by PeteL »

Allan has just replied saying that Single Spares have the Top adaptors in stock. So that's half the problem sorted.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

The bushes are easy enough to make so any machine shop should be able to knock a set out for you. Equally, so should an AOMCC owner with a lathe if you know one nearby. I made the ones in my KH after becoming fed up with the poor fit of those I had purchased, from various sources.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

AOMCC club spares. An excellent service, every time I use them. We are a very lucky club.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

There is Hamlin's, an excellent old time motor engineers in Bridgwater whoare very helpful and I'll try them on Monday.
I do have a Myford lathe but not the skill yet to achieve the necessary finish, or a suitable chunk of bronze.
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

I’m pretty sure I have some top bushes, which are probably more than a little used, but better than the ones you don’t have.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Hi Rob,
That would be great. If you still have them.
Thinking about it, not having a suitable bit of bronze to hand and looking at what such stuff costs! I think a pair of somewhat worn s/h bushes is the way to go if I want to get to Caernarfon.
Then when "shop bought" bushes are available, get a set and fit them. At least now all the threads are free running its not that big a job.
Mick.Small

Post by Mick.Small »

Morning Pete, I have a full set of new Drags bushes and oil seals that I'll probably not need in the near future.The tops are just on 2 inches long.Not got the bill but I think they cost about £55 with post, so if they're any use let me know.I can send you a picture if you like
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Thanks Mick.
That is great news. Just what I was hoping for. I would very much like to have them.
How would you like to be paid?

I'm sure Rob will understand me going for this, rather than his used pair.
This is just what such a great club forum is so useful for.
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

PeteL wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:12 pm There is Hamlin's, an excellent old time motor engineers in Bridgwater who are very helpful and I'll try them on Monday.
Are they still going :o they re-sleeved my square Four block in 1968 - did a great job.

I didn't have a car in those days so the block was strapped to the carrier of my 350 AJS Model 16 (it survived) :lol: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH