Huntmaster Air Cleaner

Singles, twins and fours.
ian.warrener

Huntmaster Air Cleaner

Post by ian.warrener »

Hi all,

I have a 55 Huntmaster that has no air cleaner and am looking for options to fix this. The original appears to have been some kind of body coloured box mounted behind the carb. I haven't seen any of these and tried looking at the pancake style chrome filters that fit the Amal. But these foul the battery. Has anybody else tried anything different from stock? I'd like to sort this so I can ride with peace of mind - I live in outback Australia and it's a bit dusty!

Thanks in anticipation.
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Ian, the original is a Burgess, which are pretty rare.
I have seen a D shaped pancake filter. I think it's original for a KH. I'm not sure who would supply them.
What about a pod style filter?
or an offset pancake filter http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pd-1013 ... goryId=815
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Ian,
You could try John Budgen he seems to be advertising air boxes for swinging arm models. Whether they fit a Huntmaster or not I don't know. Part no. advertised is 9000-55c. Can't see how one air box can fit all swinging arm models though, but worth checking out. Not too cheap but here in the UK it will cost you that for one on ebay, which is another source as they do very occasionally appear. Have a look at the following link :-

http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/air_filters.htm

Good luck with it.
Keith Mettam.
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

The base and centre of the Burgess air filters are the same, it is just the top part, specifically the cutout for the rubber connector, that differs. The Huntmaster one goes round the corner, the OHV singles have the cutout further across the flat surface, the VB has a cutout in the same area as the OHV models, but I think it is a bit smaller.
You can modify the top part by filling the existing cutout and making another in the right place. The trick is knowing where this is.....

I think if you use a concentric carb instead of the monoblock (which is a bit longer) ypu can use an offset pancake filter, but this need checking
ian.warrener

Re: Huntmaster Air Cleaner

Post by ian.warrener »

Thanks all, gives me a start.