Clutch thrust washer

Singles, twins and fours.
Norm Emerson

Clutch thrust washer

Post by Norm Emerson »

I'm working on the clutch of my 1958 nh 350 with a 1954 vh engin fitted and notice the outer thrust washer dosen't seem to fit (it is a rattling fit on the shaft). Is this right? I don't know which clutch is fitted to the bike as it just seemed to be put on so that the bits stayed together rather than in the box with other bits of the bike when I got it! The gear box has these numbers on it....GB44 M55 433 also 930 with a box around it. Any sugestions as to which G/box and clutch is fitted would be helpfull. The clutch has 2 friction and 3 plain plates.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Clutch thrust washer

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Norm , the only thrust washers i know of goes one each side of the needle rollers basket that goes in the chainwheel, that is the only thrust washers i found and replaced when i rebuilt my clutch and gearbox :?
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

That's a 1955 gearbox, manufactured December, from an FH according to the numbers but it sounds like you have the right clutch for an NH - a two plate. Hopefully it has the later, longer mainshaft.

As Johnny says, do you mean the two trust rings either side of the bronze needle roller cage?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Longer gearbox mainshaft?
But a 1954 VH might have a shorter drive-side mainshaft (depending on the flywheel assembly)!!

I guess the 'proof of the pudding' is whether the primary drive sprockets line up, and if the clutch chainwheel rubs the chain case.

All good fun! :D

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Norm Emerson

Post by Norm Emerson »

Thanks for the info Johnny, Simon H and Simon G. I have put the clutch together and once the basket was bolted down the washer sliped into place. I gess I was just a bit confused when the washer was such a slack fit at first.
So the next question is now it's all back together I find that it ether needs an extra plate or two or a shorter operating rod as the plates or rattling before the rod opens them. Am I right in asuming that the clutch is not a NH. I havent messured the length of the operating rod (are they diferent lengths?) I'll take it apart again tomorow if I get time and messure it. This is good fun!
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Norm have adjusted the clutch adjusting lever in the gearbox case or you may have a 3 plate clutch when you put the clutch plates in the clutch basket do they come to near the top of the of the basket if not it must be a 3 plate clutch :?:
simon.holyfield

Norm Emerson wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 pm Thanks for the info Johnny, Simon H and Simon G. I have put the clutch together and once the basket was bolted down the washer sliped into place. I gess I was just a bit confused when the washer was such a slack fit at first.
So the next question is now it's all back together I find that it ether needs an extra plate or two or a shorter operating rod as the plates or rattling before the rod opens them. Am I right in asuming that the clutch is not a NH. I havent messured the length of the operating rod (are they diferent lengths?) I'll take it apart again tomorow if I get time and messure it. This is good fun!
You're not missing the ball in the pushrod mechanism are you? It's quite possible you have a three plate basket & centre - just put another pair of plates in.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
Norm Emerson

Post by Norm Emerson »

Hi Johnny, The plates come flush with the top edge of the clutch basket and 5mm below the edge of the clutch center, so there wouldn't be room to fit another pair of plates.
The clutch push rod is 9 1/2" (242mm.) long. I'm presuming the ball at the gearbox end is there
Can you adjust the leaver in the gearbox? and if so how. I don't have a book for the gearbox and they are unavalible from Dragan at the moment. You can probabley tell that I'm not to shure about taking the cover off the gearbox. But I will have to sooner or later as I can't select any gears at the moment. I was considering sending it off to get sorted if I can't get a book
simon.holyfield

Norm Emerson wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:40 pm Hi Johnny, The plates come flush with the top edge of the clutch basket and 5mm below the edge of the clutch center, so there wouldn't be room to fit another pair of plates.
The clutch push rod is 9 1/2" (242mm.) long. I'm presuming the ball at the gearbox end is there
Can you adjust the leaver in the gearbox? and if so how. I don't have a book for the gearbox and they are unavalible from Dragan at the moment. You can probabley tell that I'm not to shure about taking the cover off the gearbox. But I will have to sooner or later as I can't select any gears at the moment. I was considering sending it off to get sorted if I can't get a book
Have you seen the drawing?

https://draganfly.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... t/19GB.jpg
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
Norm Emerson

Post by Norm Emerson »

Thanks for that I had only seen the parts list pic. and it so small I could'nt make out the detail.
I have found the clutch operating lever adjusting sleeve. I'll have a fiddle with that tomorow