front brake plate anchor arm

Singles, twins and fours.
JimWalsh

front brake plate anchor arm

Post by JimWalsh »

i am looking for the front brake plate anchor arm for the ( 56 year ) 500 red hunter can anyone tell me if they are the same as the one on the (53 year) 650 huntmaster,and does anyone have one or do i have to go to my secret supplier i would rather buy from a club member if possible regards Jim
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: front brake plate anchor arm

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The 1953 FH does not have a front torque arm it uses a bolt through a lug on the brake plate into a tapped hole in a lug that is part of the forks. The one you are looking for fits all 1956-58 models, except Colt. They all have the full width alloy hub. BSA one has a different part number, does anyone know the difference as I am in the process of drawing these up for Draganfly as they want to get some made but I have never known the difference and cannot see why there should be a difference. Each end is bent by about 2 degrees but many are bent incorrectly so check before fitting and distorting the brake plate.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JimWalsh

Post by JimWalsh »

thanks for that Rodger will use the one from my huntmaster as pattern and get my man who can to water jet me a couple out, as no one from the club has come forward with one regards Jim
JimWalsh

Post by JimWalsh »

my huntmaster has the fork bottoms that take the fwh
rein.heerkens

Post by rein.heerkens »

I have some if you can not find them.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:59 pm ...BSA one has a different part number, does anyone know the difference ...
Roger
All I can think is that as the BSA fork legs are closer together, the brake plate is also closer to the fork leg so the 'bend at the end' (maybe at both ends) would be different.
(I've got one that doesn't quite fit properly and it looks to be because the angles are wrong.)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

I have one available, if you look at my listing at the top of the spares wanted section, there should be more details.
However, following recent surgery, I may not be able to guarantee speedy delivery should you choose to buy it.
Contact details are in the listing
JimWalsh

Post by JimWalsh »

Can anyone tell me how much the brake anchour arms are when they are available regards Jim
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I think you must be right Simon as the fork legs are the same, the spindle is shorter as the the stanchion centres are closer in the BSA yokes. The BSA parts books don't show a spacer between the leg and the brake plate. I would have thought that wouldn't fit like that. The HT uses the BSA torque arm and spindle as it uses the BSA yokes but the spindle spacer doesn't mention that it isn't used on the HT but could just be an omission.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.