Front Brake Stop light Switch.

Anything about Ariels
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Front Brake Stop light Switch.

Post by keith.mettam »

Has anyone fitted a front brake stop light switch to their late four stroke Ariel at all ? I am presently looking at installing a front brake operated stop light on my 57 NH and would be interested to see pictures of other Arielist's methods of doing this. I am keen to keep the original (combination) type of front brake handlebar lever and am looking for a neat method of providing this facility. I am not after wiring information, as I am more than capable of wiring it in, but I am really looking for a neat unobtrusive way of doing it....i.e type of switch used, how fitted and its method of operation. Ideally it needs to be operated by the handlebar lever.
Thanks in advance !
Keith Mettam.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

One of my pals fitted a simple Mercury Switch as a brake light switch, adding a relay would be a refinement. Such a setup would not disfigure a nice bike Mind you,I doubt if my '57 VH front brake would generate sufficient retardation to activate such a switch!---only joking?
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

There is one which fits in the cable, and features a rubber piece which bridges two contacts when compressed. I think Carrott cycles have them?

http://www.carrotcycles.co.uk/CONTROL-C ... d_398.html
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

There you are. Carrotts help vision. Nev
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Thanks Simon. Had a quick look at their product yesterday after your post Simon, very nifty idea. Yep Nev thats what my mum always told us kids as well !
Keith.
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

With a mercury switch Robin wouldn't it operate when you dropped the bike a cog and closed the throttle without necessarily braking ? Maybe this wouldn't matter too much though.
So much for your front brake Robin, mine is quite the opposite. I can stand the bike on it's nose ! It operates quite fiercely at any speed even though I have had the drum skimmed and it is not as bad as it was. I'm used to it now but have to be careful when I first apply it then increase the pressure after that. I'm thinking of swapping the front and back shoes over in the hope that the front will normalise and the useless rear brake will improve !
Regards,
Keith.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Front Brake Stop light Switch.

Post by john.nash »

keith.mettam wrote: I can stand the bike on it's nose ! It operates quite fiercely at any speed even though I have had the drum skimmed and it is not as bad as it was.
You want to swap ???
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

No thanks John, I like a challenge mate ! Just waiting for that front brake torque arm to rip out of the brake plate as per an earlier posting !!!!!

Keith
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Keith, the idea was to fit the mercury switch at such an angle/tilt, that it required very definite braking to activate it and naturally you don't want the brake light to come on whenever you go down hill, but as you say it matters little if it's a bit over-sensitive and activates when going down through the gears.