1943 W/NG Transmission and Clutch Wanted

Parts needed or for sale, which are unique to the W/NG.
Suppliers of unique Ariel parts.
tcolbourne

1943 W/NG Transmission and Clutch Wanted

Post by tcolbourne »

Looking for a complete transmission and clutch assembly for 1943 W/NG. Located in Alberta Canada.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1943 W/NG Transmission and Clutch Wanted

Post by john.nash »

Any 350 clutch will do the job, although some may need mods on the basket.
Any CP gearbox will also work, although later mainshafts are longer I think. Of course, the WNG box has no speedo stuff (and the telltale speedo hole in the top of the case outer - but that cane be blocked up)

I suspect the club can probably supply almost everything inside a CP box, so even the worst abused ones can be resurrected
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by paul_turner »

Hi
yes I have a couple of WNG boxes and probably a clutch, I'm guessing the shipping won't be cheap to Canada ? PM me if interested.
tcolbourne

Post by tcolbourne »

Yes I'm interested!--without the proper gearbox and clutch it just won't be right. Please let me know your pricing etc. I can also be reached at tomcolbourne2016@gmail.com.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The W/NG gearbox has the trials ratios. (long jump to top from 3rd) and the cases are not polished and have no speedo drive. The clutch has the same number of plates as the 500 . Probably so as to last longer. IF you want to revert the ratios you need a different sleeve gear and the corresponding one on the layshaft. These are the normal civvie parts. There's none of the little rollers in the gear change end bearing. The case has a bronze bush instead which works well. The outer cases are as a pair which is normal practice with all of them. (if you are lucky). Nev
tcolbourne

Post by tcolbourne »

thanks for the info. so it's a 4 plate clutch vs 3 plate as normal NH? I've done quite a bit of transmission work on my NH so am familiar to some degree. i have a spare trans actually which i need to finish off-it's a 1950 from an NH--i needed the speedo drive spindle and had to buy the whole transmission to get it-just a few minor corrections and it's whole. It would fit in the W/NG but not correct for the bike...I have the outer cases for the W/NG minus the dome cover on the clutch-looks like they've been welded a few times..thanks for the feedback. i'm missing the steering damper shaft and knob too---i have one from 1950 NH but it's different.
tcolbourne

Post by tcolbourne »

FYI--this bike is black--not repainted--so it may be from orders that went to other dept's than Army, Navy etc. (from R. Gwynn info) i can't find any underlying green or brown paint. it's for sure a W/NG--apparently from Burma during the war (Myanmar now) then to California-then Langley BC and finally here. it's been ridden as it's got a brake light switch still attached. Just some facts--any W/NG info appreciated (and potential parts)
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by paul_turner »

Hi sending picture , just in case ! seems I can't help with the clutch I'm afraid nearly all my single and twin stuff gone now. £150 plus you sort shipping.
Attachments
IMG_1602.JPG
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by paul_turner »

THE ONE ON THE RIGHT.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Later model W/NG s do NOT have a steering damper. Putting later gears in may require some modification of the outer case near the bearing to allow the 'Bushed " gears to fit Check assemble the lot in the outer case before you tighten anything. There are a few tricks for young players mixing the different model gears. Some layshafts do chip the splines on each end, and the journals/bushes can be a bit sad. The W/NG has a drain plug. Get the modified seal kit for the big race. Nev