Hymn to the 1928 Model C

nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Hymn to the 1928 Model C

Post by nevhunter »

Just make sure the skirt of the piston is short enough to clear the baffles at BDC. The smaller oil tank is correct and easier to find and easier to remove when cleaning the innards. Nuts and kero and a good shake to get the sludge out that settles to the bottom when the bike is not used everyday.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

My 28 still has the webbing. I think, not sure, that the webbing is for pistons with only 2 comp. rings.
I still have to check in to this if when using a piston with oil scraper ring there is no need for the webbing.
but, even if there is no need for the webbing I am reluctant to take it out, I will first try it out with the webbing in situ.
Adding rigidty to the crankcase? hmmm, maybe ..
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Oh I had not considered that. The webbing is to keep oil up in the cylinder? So more of a baffle than for strength? That is interesting. Will go have another look when the workshop cools down. Is like an oven here today outside.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Another question. I was thinking today that I have seen a cylinder like it before to. Are they the same as on a BSA of some kind? Many years ago did a BSA motor and it seems familiar. Gets hard to remember things lately. I read the code on the side as M21 perhaps ?
Attachments
engine00.jpg
Vincent.vanGinneke

That is for sure a Ariel VH (or VG) cylinder.

it can have A7 478 or MC13.749 prewar and postwar, but I dont remember what is what :D

casting numbers :
Ariel VH 1953.jpg
A7 478.jpg
500 blok 1940.JPG
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Baffles in that period of motor is to make the oil form a mist rather than just the odd drop from the big end. More important on Vee twins to even the oil to each cylinder. In a single I never knock them out but also wouldn't fret to much IF one was a bit damaged. You don't see it. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Thanks Nev, I hoped you would answer ! so I was on the right path...sort of
good to know that those baffles are not so much about keeping -to much- oil away but more as a means to mist it up.
I'll keep my baffles :lol:
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Does this mean I also need to find an earlier piston without an oil control ring ?
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I have Preferred the 3 compression ring set up with the relief and small holes drilled below the lower ring NOT IN THE ring GROOVE. This was pretty standard until the larger delivery pump was used about 49. . Not too many ARIEL SINGLES blow a lot of smoke. On the open valve models I often add a bit of 2stroke oil to the tank. Nor much is needed. 50Mil to a tankfull is plenty. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Slowly, very slowly my Model C creeps forward, hubs have now been laced with semi gloss rims, nickel nipples and black spokes.
done by Haan Wheels . I am very happy with the end result https://www.haanwheels.com/classic-vintage-wheels/
Model C work feb.2024  (19).jpg

For a while I toyed with the idea to install a small hidden generator instead of a Magdyno on the Model C .
Originally a 1928 would have one of these 'wagon' 3 brush dynamo's in one housing with the magneto.
Rather rare but they can be found, and before you have it functioning you spend double money on refurbishing such a rare magdyno.
And I actually like the sight of the solo magneto.

Model C work feb.2024  (20) - kopie.jpg

Bought a small genny from Paul Hamon. https://www.alton-france.com/generators/ bottom of page.

acg00-pr01-eskv-e.jpeg

Paul send a small V belt pulley with it to install behind the engine sprocket.

Model C work feb.2024  (9).jpg
20240202_230350.jpg
20240202_230340.jpg

Or a bit higher up
This plot needs some more thinking :D
Model C work feb.2024  (13).jpg