Re: Hymn to the 1928 Model C

Post by nevhunter »

FIAT 2300 isn't it? Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

While waiting for my '28 Qbox to return a chance purchase of a VB engine led to this cobbling....
'40 WNG frame, '53 VB engine, 9 stud cilinder, BA Burman(yes the rest is there..) tele forks from 'The Hermanator' Suzuki handlebar levers, BTH KD1 TT, Laverda twin DellOrto, inlet stub from a Vin Comet, plunger rear guard&lifting handle, '51 tank from Burney. wheels; rear 3 stud QD in 18"rim, front 7" prewar in 21" rim
I can put all my surplus stuff in this Ariel :D

600cc ! like our friends across the pond say "there's no substitute for cubic inches" :lol:

20231010_171907.jpg
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

Just asked the factory for the extras you want and Vincent will supply
AOMCC Treasurer
Vincent.vanGinneke

:lol:

perhaps that DellOrto is a bit too cocky so better fit a Concentric on a Commando manifold :D
20231012_130630.jpg
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Very nice project Vincent!
What a coincidence, I just managed to find a 1953 VB rigid frame for my own VG project… :D
Regards Paul
Vincent.vanGinneke

If your frame is AM506 then I have the engine ! :D
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Yes It starts with the same AM prefix, but it’s way off that number… ;) I hope the frame will arrive this week, it’s still abroad.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

I have a 1928 Ariel that has been going on for years. I want to ask does the cylinder on later models project deeper than the 1928 ones. I've got a later model cylinder though I cannot figure out what the number is on the side of it. But it wont drop in to my 1928 cases. The webbing in the top prevents it. I was thinking about turning the bottom of the big jug down so that it fits. I want to use the cylinder because all its fins are in good condition and I think I can clean it up. Possibly it has been sleeved at least once in its life.
Vincent.vanGinneke

I think that by turning down the bottom it will work.
But do the pushrod tubes + holding bracket still fit as the later cylinderfoot is much larger ?
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

When I put the cylinder on top of the 28 cases it looks like the push rod holes line up perfectly to centres. I suppose what I should do next is find the tubes and rods to fit. It all seems right it is just that the bottom of the cylinder extends much deeper and the webs in the top of the 28 case are in the way. Do your 1928 cases have the webbing in the top and did they remove it from later cases because they are stronger ? Turning down the bottom of cylinder would actually solve another problem which is that a part of the bottom of the casting is damaged where the sleeve projects through. I am guessing this cylinder was sleeved ( and the sleeve ) caused the lower part of the casting to fail at some point. If it was running when that piece of casting came off it must have been a particularly loud and brutal ending for everything else! I'll post a picture of the damage. But if I can turn it down that damaged part will go away. I think my Lathe will throw it fine slowly. 9" throw on it. Ungus lump of metal that the cylinder is.