Oil pressure gauge ng/350 deluxe 1936

Singles, twins and fours.
MikeCrook

Oil pressure gauge ng/350 deluxe 1936

Post by MikeCrook »

Stuck at 20 psi I believe it to be original , calabrated from 0 to 100.

Bike only recently started after 3 years, could it need cleaning ? Or replacement ?
Help on how would be appreciated.

also i have a spare damper spring barrel shaped if any one needs one
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Oil pressure gauge ng/350 deluxe 1936

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi wen the bike is running does the gauge go up and down then sticks at 20 psi , it may need cleaning and resetting and have you taken the gauge off with the engine running to see if the oil is coming out the pipe :?:
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

Thanks for the advice .

I will try taking the gauge off., the gauge is stuck at 20 psi, it's a Smiths unit.

What is the process for cleaning and resealing the pipes
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

The gauge has been disconnected and the feed to gauge removed I have tried Draganfly but cannott identify the parts needed to reinstall, as only the connection between crankcase and rockers remain and no provision for branch to gauge and the manual does not show a diagram of this. Any help please ?

Also the gauge is frozen at 20 psi ,can it be repaired or reconditioned as I believe it to be original ?

Thanks
roland robinson

Post by roland robinson »

As far as i am aware Smiths' pressure gauges were never fitted to Ariels. Correct me if I am wrong.
All singles pressure gauges for singles were 0-25psi.
It does not appear that you have an original gauge. A visually correct gauge is available from Club Spares
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Mike,
From what you write I think you fail the 'Y' junction in the oil line on the exhaust rocker shaft.
On my '45 NG I silver soldered a brass connector in this Y junction to be able to use a flexible oil line to the gauge.
I found it a hell of a job to lift the dash panel with a rigid oil line connected to the gauge.
A oil gauge only works when 'the system' has some back pressure, that means you need to have the ball/spring and cup installed in the oil quill inside the camshaft housing.
oil line to gauge.JPG
my '45 also has a '100' oil gauge fitted, ofcourse I can not be sure after all these years but I think it has been on it from new.
when hot it reads very low.
lampje.JPG
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by volker.halbach »

A 1936NG should have an open head with no oil pipe to the rockers. The pipe to the oil pressure gauge is directly connected to the timing case. The reading on the gauge is controlled by a "pressure regulator" in the timing case, i.e. an adjustable valve. It seems somebody replaced the original head with a latter closed head. It would now be good to know how exactly the feed to the rockers is connected. I would check whether enough oil arrives at the big end. High oil pressure in the pipe to the rockers does not necessarily mean that the big end gets enough oil.
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

Thanks all I will try to get the parts from Draganfly , as you can appreciate I am reluctant to ride the bike with no knowledge of oil pressure.

As to the gauge is it repairable by me or a workshop ?
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

This is all the bike has[img]
20210903_131618.mp4
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
[/img]
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Pete.Silson »

Mike

The pipe in your picture is the inlet valve guide oil feed. The rockers are not oil-fed on an open valve head. The pressure gauge is fed from the front of the timing case via a 2-part pipe. Part numbers for the two pipes are 5174-34 (gauge end) and 5169-36 (timing case end). I believe Drags do the pipes you need.

I have mended pressure gauges in the past but you do need a proper tool to remove the needle without damaging the gauge mechanism. Before you take it to bits I would suggest putting a compressed air line on the oil inlet and see if the gauge moves. Sometimes gauges work fine but just don't start at zero, in which case all you need to do is take off the needle and replace it at zero.

Pete