VB lubrication

Singles, twins and fours.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

VB lubrication

Post by david.anderson »

I am currently building a VB from dismantled parts and of course there are many missing. Having never stripped a VB before, I have a few of questions.
1/there does not appear to be any lubrication into the inner timing cover except mist through the 2 upper holes between the crankcase and the inner timing cover. Am I missing something as I would have thought that the camshaft would have needed a little more than that?
2/there does not appear to be any lubrication to the valve guides except mist that is forced up by crankcase pressure through a tiny hole in the base of the valve spring enclosure?
3/does the feed to the oil pressure gauge come from the rocker oil feed stud at the bottom of the timing chest that feeds the rockers in the overhead valve models. If so, is that the only oil supply from that stud?
4/ the big end oil quill and oil feed spring, ball and plug (which fit directly behind the oil pump feed) were missing from the inner timing chest so I have just bought them. The plug (part no 2150A-41) has been substituted with (2150-41) the OHV model plug with the only instruction being to add a groove. Can anyone tell me where to add the groove. I am thinking that a small groove may be required to the bottom of the plug so that oil pressure that has built up in the line to the pressure gauge is released to the big end, bypassing the pressure relief valve. If so it would have to be a tiny groove as it is defeating the purpose of the oil pressure valve.
Thanks
David
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi David,
1. Yep, that's all I can see. A little oil will get in past the cam bush from the crankcase and the bleed hole above. I've heard of making a tin cup to sit directly under the cam and further hold oil, but whether this works I can't say.
2. The positive is that the guides are parallel?
3. The VB I'm working on isn't complete with all oil lines, but doesn't have the take off point in the timing cover. I'm assuming it has a T in the oil line. If you have the stud, then yes, it would only do the gauge. Mine is '47 or so.
4. There's no visible difference between 2150-41 and 2150A when they are installed, so hopefully someone else will have an answer. Otherwise, I'll take the plug out and photograph for you.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

From memory, the groove is only about the thickness of a cut with a hacksaw. It goes front to back.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
david.anderson

Re: VB lubrication

Post by david.anderson »

thankyou gents
David
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

"Cam lubrication" , there was an item in every gasket set to improve this, wich is easy to make, (just waited for some one else to come up with it).

A peace of 1/4 inch copper tube in a slite S shape, fixet in the camdeck hole next to the cam, sliding in the oppesit hole in the crankcase (they don't line that's way the S), drill a new hole next to the cam in the crankcase thus rising level at the cam but not at the magneto cain, becouse the tube is draining that to the crankcase.

Hope to have one photographed.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Adrie, yes but the VB's don't have any positive oil feed to the top end like the OHV's, so no fresh oil is sliding down the pushrod tubes..
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Neither do the early OHV's. They use a similar tappett arrangement ot the SV's too. The exhaust cam needs more oil and often wears prematurely.( As do Early AJS's Rudges, JAP twins etc) These cams are the most critically lubricated parts of the motor and would require ( in my opinion) a friction modified oil and a more adequate supply of it than they sometimes get. The oil coming down the front pushrod tube of an OHV ( enclosed type) is overheated as well as it comes from the exhaust valve area of the head. Nev
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The crank will splash it trough the top hole to the cam chaimber, so a VB will benefit also.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Adrie
I have already raised the oil level to the inner timing chest to improve the cam lubrication.
David