CABLES lined

Anything about Ariels
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

CABLES lined

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi all what type of clutch brake ect cables are best lined or unlined :?: my new rear brake cable is lined and i was thinking is it better to get the rest of the cables made lined is there a advantaged using them, or is it a bad idea :? :?:
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: CABLES lined

Post by will_curry »

Hi Johnny

I'm a fan of lined cables. Two of my singles have lined clutch cables which I made up
from kits some years ago. Both bikes have competition clutches with the heavy-duty
springs and neither cable has given any trouble while their action is light and smooth.

All my new cables will be lined.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I always use lined outers when making up my cables, I think they give a smoother action.

Regards Mick
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

I have used cable kits from Venhill Engineering in the past, using their Featherlight lined outers

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-and-co ... 1-100.html
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I use nylon lined cable outers from JJ Cables. The results are excellent, but the advice is only to use duck oil for lubrication. Having tried that and found the cable rather stiff, I lubricated with engine oil against all the advice. Result - a beautifully smooth, light cable. How long it will last is anyone's guess but I think it is around 10 years so far!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi thank you all for your replies , i have got a set of cables back at jj cables that he made wrong for my nh 1954 and i have
now been trying to get hold of him to tell him to make them with lined outers . like you are all saying , but i know he is moving and he will have a new phone number when i seen him at kempton park in July, and he said keep looking in the old bike mart for the new phone number and new address . and the old number just goes to a answerphone now , and when i get them i will try some silicone lube on them :?:
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

I think Venhill suggest 'no lubrication' required as it messes with the ptfe liner. Only lubricate if actually necessary, and then with WD40.

I will admit to lubricating with GT85. :shock: Bit more of a lubricant than WD40.
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

The theory is that oil creates more drag than teflon/teflon friction......as with all the modern improvements,once they are worn ,they fail very suddenly......I recall some Macks had very heavy coated clutch cables ,maybe 1/2" dia internal wire........Anyway ,the instruction with them was to use brake fluid as lube.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi john that maybe a good idea using brake fluid because brake fluid is very slippery and i think it will not attack the lining i have used brake fluid for fitting rubber seals etc but i haven't thought about it as a lubricant but i will give it a try 8-)
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

As I said in my last post, the clutch cable on my Red Hunter has been there for something like 10 years, lubricated with engine oil, and is still very light - much better than it was before I lubricated it.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.