Rigid rear hub wanted.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Rigid rear hub wanted.

Post by TonyBaxter »

Hi all, my late '40s single has always had a very worn rear hub since I started work on her for the previous owner. It's not on the drive side but is absolutely mullered. We tried a Loctite formula meant for taking up slack in his housings, but the wear is too pronounced. I have an engineering shop that's taken a look, and after quite a bit of head scratching reckons it's going to be rather tricky to machine. Well not so much the machining as setting it up accurately. he's a time served aero machinist and does things properly. He's also a little worried about the construction of the hub and doesn't want to weaken it near a joint.
So, possibly an easier fix is, anyone got a rigid rear hub that isn't knackered going spare?
Cheers, Tony.
TonyBaxter

Re: Rigid rear hub wanted.

Post by TonyBaxter »

Bump!
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Tony, I have a bare one with bearing housings that are o.k. but has had the rear chain run off -I think-
The rim on the brake drum is damaged, It can be 'trimmed' but that will make the rim that protrudes in the water excluder on the brake plate lower.
I can send a pic tomorrow.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Hi Vincent, that would be great thanks. I picked mine up yesterday from the engineer, he was very reluctant to machine the damage as there appears to be a join adjacent to the area and he didn't want to weaken the hub. It's sitting in my kitchen whilst I decide what to do next, perhaps yours will help me. :D Regards, Tony.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Just thinking aloud here. If Vincent isn't able to help me, what about the half width hubs fitted to the later models, even the swinging arm ones? I know it will require some work, but may be an option. Anyone done this before?
Vincent.vanGinneke

20210708_085050.jpg
20210708_085003.jpg
20210708_084946.jpg
20210708_084919.jpg
20210708_084857.jpg
20210708_084843.jpg
20210708_084831.jpg
I think a later one has the same dimensions, they only use different bearings, no timkens.

the paint on the braking surface is there because this hub was once part of a Ariel used by the 'Ariel stunt team'.
The ran them with no brakes..

tried to find a picture with one of the Ariels but found this one.
reversed engined G3L, 4 speeds in reverse!
Ariel rally in Boyl, Netherlands . Mid eighties I think.
W-NG -M-.jpg
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Tony, I am 99% certain that the only joint in that area is where the spoke ring is brazed to the hub tube, I suggest you remove the paint and have a look. The only worry really is the thickness of the metal but I doubt you will need to remove very much to true the housing before fitting a sleeve. I know Norbert fitted a full width hub to his rigid, anything is possible!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Vincent, thanks for the pictures, it's certainly much better in the bearing area than mine! I will see if anything else is available here, but would be interested if you could message me a price? Thanks.

Roger, yes you're right about the joint, that's what my engineer friend was worried about! He didn't want one side of spokes coming adrift from the other. Actually mine is really quite bad, I think it had been used worn for quite a while and the damage is pretty awful. Though I have thought of another way that it could be reclaimed. If all else fails I may use a Triumph hub with the Ariel spindle and simply machine spacers etc to make it work. Thanks :D
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Oh, and Vincent, I love the story of the Ariel stunt team :lol:
Vincent.vanGinneke

Ariel stunt team.jpg
Dutch Ariel rally , May 1986.

found the picture in the '40 years Dutch Ariel Club' book.