How to remove retaining nut on VH mainshaft pinion

Singles, twins and fours.
ian.dabney

How to remove retaining nut on VH mainshaft pinion

Post by ian.dabney »

Appreciate advice and experience on how to remove a very tight timing side retaining nut on the mainshaft pinion of a 56 VH. (The bike has been laid up in a shed for nearly 40 years and I am near the end of dismantling it, before restoration). I have tried to locked two nuts on the drive side shaft and use them as a means to apply opposite torque; however they move, rather than the timing side nut. My next thought was to apply some heat around the nut and shaft. All experience and advice appreciated.
thanks
Ian

AOMCC # 1017
'52 KH
'56 VH
29/31VF
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

I guess you are aware that the half time pinion nut is a left hand thread, if I have read your method correctly Ian ? If you have the barrel off why not put a piece of wood between the flywheels to stop the crank revolving and then undo the nut ? If you still have trouble then get the gas blowlamp out and carefully apply some heat around the nut, it should move then with a bit of luck !
All the best with it,
Keith Mettam.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I think you might have the problem identified, but if the nut is really tight you can drill a hole through it without damaging the mainshaft thread and then with a chisel carefully spread/split the nut. You do this with the shrink bands on car rear axles all the time. The gear is hardened but marking it a bit on tha face won't matter, Nev
ian.dabney

Post by ian.dabney »

Keith, Nev
Many thanks for your advice, I will give it a go today.
regards
Ian

AOMCC # 1017
'52 KH
'56 VH
29/31VF
john.sullivan

Post by john.sullivan »

Get or borrow an impact socket wrench. I can't believe how easily they loosen what seem to be impossible to remove nuts. John