Cammy Square 4 main bearings

Singles, twins and fours.
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Cammy Square 4 main bearings

Post by jerry.mortimore »

Looking to get my 1935 cammy engine assembled. Originally two of the main bearings were slotted and there was an 'H' piece that went into the slot that located the bearings on the timing side to prevent side to side movement. Since slotted bearings are not available what is the alternative? I have seen a slot cut in the bearing clamp and a 'U' shape piece fitted into the slot with a small screw to locate the bearings. Is this the best way? Any advice welcome. I am using one of the new beefed up clamps made by Pete Kemp.
1935 cammy Square, 1938 VB, brace of 1950 MkI Squares, 1959 MkII Square and several Ariel and Fleet pushbikes.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Cammy Square 4 main bearings

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I have used an angle grinder to put the slots into the bearing and remembered to wash the bearings!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Not possible for me - cranks are already built up.
1935 cammy Square, 1938 VB, brace of 1950 MkI Squares, 1959 MkII Square and several Ariel and Fleet pushbikes.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I never had the slots in mine - or the H pieces so I cleaned the outer surface of the bearing and the housings with cellulose thinners, let it dry off, applied loctite and assembled. I never had a problem in many thousands of miles with the main bearings.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Thanks Paul.