1935 girder fork spring clip orientation

Singles, twins and fours.
JoeAnania

1935 girder fork spring clip orientation

Post by JoeAnania »

Is there a specific orientation of the spring retaining anchor part on upper end of spring The lower is fixed by the cross tube so it can only go on one way. I have tried to rotate main spring with upper anchor on spring(same loation at teardown of machine before paint) so it would be orientated front to back like lower one but having difficulty aligning it.
Any help, tips would be helpful with the girder fork assembly.
Thanks , Joe
Attachments
Girder fork
Girder fork
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1935 girder fork spring clip orientation

Post by alan.moore »

Joe
Have a look at this previous post which may help you (my input is at half way down page 1)
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... f=4&t=7146

Re your question: the correct position is when the spring is fully would onto the bottom bracket (so the end of the spring comes up to the vertical 'stop' and the top retaining plate is fully would onto the spring until the end of the spring wedges into the slot in the bracket. Its made easier if you remove the paint from the spring where it winds in and then brush on some paint when finished.

Cheers
alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Joe
Also found this post which mentions there being two different top mount plates

http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ing#p57366

I don't know whether this has any bearing on how the spring fits as mine were the later type. Whichever you have just make sure the plate is fully would onto the spring.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
JoeAnania

Post by JoeAnania »

Thanks for all the help...
Jor
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The works drawing calls for the top spring thingy to be fitted to the spring before enamelling.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

My tool for fitting the spring consists of a length of steel strip with a slot in the end, suitable to take the spring anchorage. I loosely assemble the spring to the top anchorage then hold the top anchorage in the vice with the steel strip tool. Then it is a matter of threading the fork blade onto the other end of the spring and tightening it up. Both ends of the spring will eventually go into place but you might need a bar between the tubes of the fork blade to get enough leverage. Then you have a choice - either enamel the lot or touch up the paint you removed in the process of fitting the spring!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.