XMA 528

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
SimonE

XMA 528

Post by SimonE »

Hi all,

Just posting to see if I can trace my old 500 Ariel Red Hunter registration XMA 528. I owned and rebuilt it as a yoof back in the eighties. I then stripped it down when the engine seized and like many people never got round to rebuilding it. I sold it as a rolling project to a guy from up north who was going to rebuild it. I don’t think that he ever got round to it though as I check from time to time on the DVLA site and it hasn’t been taxed since 1983. I just checked again and a new log book was issued on 27 August 2020 so maybe someone has bought it with a view to rebuilding again during lockdown. Now I am retired and getting back into old British bikes I would love to track it down. It was originally breathed on by Hartley with a 9:1 piston much higher lift cam and a much bigger goldie inlet valve and swept back exhaust. If you know where it is do please get in touch - enticknapp@sky.com or mobile 07598926115. Thanks for any help
Simon Enticknap
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: XMA 528

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It isn't on the machine register but many owner's do not supply the registration number so it will help if you have the engine/frame nos, or at least year and model. I have listed it on the register so if it ever comes up you will hear from me.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SimonE

Post by SimonE »

Thanks Roger - it should be on the register as I was a member back in the late seventies/early eighties although I guess maybe I didn’t record it at the time - who knows.

Afraid I don’t have the engine/frame number - I am guilty of sourcing a new frame when a mate wrote it of for me and being a young idiot I didn’t advise the DVLA at the time. That also accounts for why it’s recorded at the DVLA as blue - I had the petrol tank oil tank and tool box sprayed red - I know don’t ask!

It would be great if it does surface, and I appreciate any help you or any other members can provide.

I will also see if it’s on the VMCC register

Cheers
Simon
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i see it has not been sorn off the road , i wonder if it has been brought for the number plate and i know years ago you had to have the number for a year before you can change it over to another vehicle but i don't know if that still stands i have not transferred new numbers for years all the numbers i have got are on old vehicles so i do not have to pay each year to retain the numbers :?:
SimonE

Post by SimonE »

It’s a possibility Johnny - however there aren’t many names beginning with X?
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi SiomnE sometimes they use the X to mean love or a kiss , or its letters of a company, or football team or a pop group i sold a plate a few years ago with with X s in and he was using the X s to mean love for his other Half ( that very sad )
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I searched for your name as well as the reg
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SimonE

Post by SimonE »

JohnnyBeckett wrote:hi SiomnE sometimes they use the X to mean love or a kiss , or its letters of a company, or football team or a pop group i sold a plate a few years ago with with X s in and he was using the X s to mean love for his other Half ( that very sad )
Just looked at it again and I guess it could be Xmas 28? Who knows.
SimonE

Post by SimonE »

Roger Gwynn wrote:I searched for your name as well as the reg
That’s strange - I can’t remember exactly when it was but the Ariel was my first “big bike” in about 1976/7 and I joined to get access to expertise to help with my rebuild - at the time I lived in Wood Green, North London N22.
Again thanks for looking though.
Regards
Simon
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi simon N22 was my neck of the woods from the early 70s do you remember where you got it from you may have got off us, and did you go to the cock pub or the fishmongers arms