Dynamo

General electrical problems
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Dynamo

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

I've got an electronic regulator, the dyno works without a (working!) battery but it blows speedo bulbs (especially but not only LED ones).
Very bright lights though! ;)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have got a NH that was fitted a V-REG regulator when i got it, and will not run the lights without a battery when i got the ariel i got it running and the lights did not work until i put a battery on it :?: and as far as i can work out it needs the power of a battery to make it work :?: other makes of regs may work without a battery :?:
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The regulator controls volts by regulating field current in the dynamo. IF it's adjusted too high you will blow small bulbs and maybe even bigger ones without a good battery in the circuit. You will also get excess depletion of electrolyte. Top up with distiiled water.(not acid) A dead flat battery is sometimes hard to get a charge started. IF it's been flat for a while it might be sulphated and may not recover. Nev