Need a whole lot of info - 1939 500 RH

Singles, twins and fours.
AdrianBaker

Need a whole lot of info - 1939 500 RH

Post by AdrianBaker »

Hi all
I'm new to Ariel ownership, and this is my first post - so be kind! :-)

I've had British bikes for years but just picked up a very nice, completely un-original 1939 500cc Red Hunter in Trials trim. I have searched the forum for general info about the bike but can't find what I need. What I really need is to know all the basic servicing stuff - valve clearances, primary oil, gearbox oil, recommended plug etc. Basically, I need a workshop manual I guess.

I certainly don't want to start a "What Oil do I use" thread - plenty of experiance of those on a BSA A10 forum that I use - but any ideas where I can go to read up, download, buy - whatever - a general source of info on these bikes. If there is a particular book or manual to get?

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Ariel.jpg
Just bought my first Ariel. Bike fanatic and Classic Racer.
- BSA A10
- T20 Suzuki race bike
- T20 Road bike
- TZ350G race bike
- KTM 660 SMC
- 675 Triumph
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Need a whole lot of info - 1939 500 RH

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Adrian - welcome!

Check out these threads - any links are probably out of date but the info should be easily searched.....
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... aft#p78087
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... aft#p72771

(I've seen some of those 'which oil' threads on the A7/A10 forum, Nearly as bad as 'which tyres' threads!)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
AdrianBaker

Post by AdrianBaker »

That's really good helpful. Thanks a lot.
Just joined the club too, so can access some goodies through there I hope. :D
- BSA A10
- T20 Suzuki race bike
- T20 Road bike
- TZ350G race bike
- KTM 660 SMC
- 675 Triumph
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Adrian, where are you , there maybe someone local to help you out with advice.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

AdrianBaker wrote:That's really good helpful. Thanks a lot.
Just joined the club too, so can access some goodies through there I hope. :D
Welcome aboard Adrian.

When you get your first copy of the club magazine, you will be able to access the members library where you will be able to find parts lists, owners guides and sales information for your bike and a multitude of other useful information.

Ask all the questions you want - the club is all about helping members enjoy their bikes.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Adrian and welcome that is a nice looking Ariel red hunter , just join AOMCC and you will get all you need to know off of the clubs forum and off of very good club members that are willing to help you out :D :D 8-) i got it for Xmas this year a good book on Ariel's singles it is , Ariel the modern motor cycle owner,s guide, ( and workshop Manuel ) and it came from classic motorcycle Manuel's , and looking through it seems to have most of what you need to know about Ariel's singles i think it is a good book to have handy wen you are setting or tuning it up or rebuilding it 8-) :D :D
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

One point is that you have a Burman 52 style gearbox,so use oil ,not grease.(The box is designed for oil)
AdrianBaker

Post by AdrianBaker »

john.whiting wrote:One point is that you have a Burman 52 style gearbox,so use oil ,not grease.(The box is designed for oil)
Thanks for that, nice to know - this bike really is about as unoriginal as you can get. I was told it was a 1939 model by the guy selling it, which is what it says on the V5 too. However, I joined the AOC and got an email back about my bike's details telling me it was a 1944 frame, with a 1949 engine. Now I find that the gearbox is from 1952 to add to the mix! :lol: :lol:

Fortunately I have zero concerns about this as I'm not an originality freak. Am intending to use it for a bit of local green laning and pottering round the countryside. Just need to get it going now....Hopefully I'll have time to sort it this weekend - I've sorted the mag out (cam plate was facing the wrong way with the cam on the inside, ground back on the outside!) and now have a lovely spark, but timing is out by about 180 degrees and I need a mag gear puller. Its on order but not turned up yet.
- BSA A10
- T20 Suzuki race bike
- T20 Road bike
- TZ350G race bike
- KTM 660 SMC
- 675 Triumph
AdrianBaker

Post by AdrianBaker »

dave.owen wrote:Adrian, where are you , there maybe someone local to help you out with advice.

Dave
Hi Dave.
I'm in East Herts, near Ware.
I gather the local branch of the AOC doesn't meet too far away from here, so once this lockdown is over, I'll get myself to a meeting. :D
- BSA A10
- T20 Suzuki race bike
- T20 Road bike
- TZ350G race bike
- KTM 660 SMC
- 675 Triumph
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

'44 should be the high(er) ground-clearance WD 350 (W/NG) frame - you might find folks to be a bit curious about that! :D

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)