Re-positioning Coils on the Arrow

Michael.Brown
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re-positioning Coils on the Arrow

Post by Michael.Brown »

Hi all,

I am sure this has been discussed many times. I am about to re-wire my Arrow and at the same time would like to bring both coils to inside the Dummy Tank rather than in the frame where they are extremely difficult to get at and work on.

I am sure this has been done before and wondered if you could share any pictures to show me your ideas/solutions.

Mike Brown
1942 Ariel W/NG 350cc
1960 Ariel Leader 250cc
1963 LE Velocette 192cc
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Re-positioning Coils on the Arrow

Post by Ivor Collins »

I did this in the 70s for the very same reason but when I rebuilt a few years ago I returned it to original for some reason. I seem to remember putting the coils at a jaunty angle so the HT leads didn’t abruptly meet the toolbox but if I was doing it now there are surely flatter coils of only half the size where the HT lead is closer to the frame? It would be a much better fit.
john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.bebb »

Hi peoples; - please note that wherever & however you mount your ignition coils; - it is essential to ensure the body casing of the coil is taken to a good earth point... I mounted my Square's coil to the back of the battery box which is GF plastics: -
an earth strap was necessary.
Cheers, John
terrylangley

Post by terrylangley »

On a past build I put both coils in the dummy tank toolbox with suitable packing. Much easier to install and fault find. Worked fine and I never had an ignition problem either. Terry Langley.