Petrol Tank Lining

JohnMolloy

Petrol Tank Lining

Post by JohnMolloy »

Is it necessary to line the petrol tank of a two stroke motor cycle after all we have oil in the petrol to protect it from the dreaded ethanol. If it is considered necessary then what have members found to be the best method / make of kit. I lined a Matchless G11 tank using Fortan de-ruster and Tapox liner and it was very demanding and difficult.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Petrol Tank Lining

Post by nevhunter »

2 strokes using premix, tanks seem to survive OK by themselves in my experience. Nev
terrylangley

Post by terrylangley »

I bought an Arrow a few years ago that had been lined and it all started to peel off. I had to cut the top off the tank to clean it all out and then weld a new plate on. I have never had a problem with 2 strokes and would never use the stuff.
Terry Langley
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi if the new type of lining is done properly it will not peel off like the old type does i have been using POR15 kits and i have had no problands with it peeling, bit i think with it being a two stroke mix in the tank you maybe ok, like Nevhunter says, i would give the tank a very good clean and if it is pitted or rusted at the bottom of the tank then i would use a sealer to stop it starting to leek
JohnMolloy

Post by JohnMolloy »

Thanks for the information, I'll probably just give it a good clean and forget the lining.