WNG 4 sale on Carandclassic

Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

WNG 4 sale on Carandclassic

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Text from ad :

1940 Ariel WNG 350 cc OHV , RAF War department model , Despatched to Chilwell , Between 27/8/1940 to 1/11/1940 , RAF contract number C8574 . Excellent condition , Just requires Rack painting , Number plates MXS988 and period graphics applying . Runs beautifully . Comes with V5C , Ariel Owners Club Dating Certificate , Frame number XG14189 , Engine number BH3374 , and RAF contract number information . "Battle Of Britain" , Delivery and Shipping arranged

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1266077

For a RAF engine the prefix should be RBH
Toolboxes look like Indian repro's.
The tank has two kneerubberholes on each side, thats one to many and they are both to high up on the sides.
Which leads me to think that the tank is also a repro.
Front mudguard has welded on ears for the front stay and the stay is a tube, should be a folded model with bolts through the top of the guard.
The guard is to short. I doubt if that started out as a WNG one. could be a repro.
Lower rear chain guard is missing, the top one....repro ?
Timing cover from a earlier date.
Folded handlebar levers, they should be solid.
Flimsy vertical bit on the horn bracket will vibrate as hell (always something to moan about the horn bracket :lol: )
Oil line to rockers from the return side as on later swingarm models, so what did he do with the connection at the bottom of the timing case ?
(possibly the timing housing is a mid fifties type)
Ignition is advance by slack, which is not a bad thing but not correct for a WNG.
Looking at the handlebar set up I think it fails the Air lever, decomp is by -incorrect- lever and ignition by large manette on the right hand side.
All not o.k. when looking at the asking price, actually, it's a mess.

Build up to sell, most tin ware is repro. all yours for 7995,- GBP :shock: I would run beautifully away :lol:

Looks like he did the rest of his house in the same color :lol:
carandclassic sept 2020 7995 gbp  (3).jpg
carandclassic sept 2020 7995 gbp  (2).jpg
carandclassic sept 2020 7995 gbp  (1).jpg
13618793.jpg
13618791.jpg
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: WNG 4 sale on Carandclassic

Post by ian.scott »

The front forks look too steep and the links aren't parallel. It has a modern fuel tap, the rack and exhaust are mild unpainted steel. However I dont agree with all this nit-picking. At least it is all together making a complete bike instead of a box full of bits.

Ian
Last edited by ian.scott on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

I don't think it's nit picking, if someone is asking the top amount for something which has a number of issues. Especially, if someone on this forum is also looking at the bike, as a potential buyer

That's not a WNG rack either? Although it fits.

Are they Indian forks, you think ?
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

admin wrote:
Are they Indian forks, you think ?
That would be a worry for sure
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Sorry if my comment on this WNG is classed as 'nitpicking' in my defence I can say that my comment is aimed at the would be buyer to make him or her aware of all the wrong parts on this particular WNG. (for free also!)
8000,- pounds is a lot of money, and a correct WNG with all the period bits in the right places would still struggle to make that kind of money.

Take a look at this one: https://www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co. ... egistered/ you keep a whopping 1500,- GBP in ya pocket as a bonus!
A dealer but one that knows what is what.
The one from Carandclassic is only trying to jump on the wagon but I like to think I saved someone a lot of money.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

If I may make a point about nit picking, as someone not new to Ariels but very new to Black Ariels, it is that the sort of detailed knowledge we have in our community is vital for making our bikes go, stay going, and look right - which ultimately increases both the value of the bike and the enjoyment of the hobby.

Keep it up guys.

By the way, I'm just back from my voluntary job in a steam railway workshop. Two guys spent thirty minutes arguing about the relative merits of Great Western Railway boiler safety valves and Midland Railway safety valves.

We're all at it...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

I don't know about Midland safety valves but the GWR valves I grew up with have one wonderful feature
that you never notice until it isn't there. More than a few years ago at the GCR at Loughborough
with the B1 'Mayflower' providing steam heat to the dining car train I was talking to the fireman
when the valves lifted. So did I - i jumped out of my skin. He didn't turn a hair. They're not called
'pop' valves for nothing.

GWR valves lift soooo slowly . . .
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

simon.holyfield wrote: Two guys spent thirty minutes arguing about the relative merits of Great Western Railway boiler safety valves and Midland Railway safety valves.
Bloody Midland rubbish :mrgreen: :twisted: :D

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

I'm no stickler to originality at all, but I realy appreciate learning about Ariels here on this site. There could be someone thinking about buying this bike. They'll certainly be very careful after reading this thread.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Simon.Gardiner wrote:
simon.holyfield wrote: Two guys spent thirty minutes arguing about the relative merits of Great Western Railway boiler safety valves and Midland Railway safety valves.
Bloody Midland rubbish :mrgreen: :twisted: :D

SG
Sounds like this morning!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com