Battery Voltage Monitor

General electrical problems
JimKing

Battery Voltage Monitor

Post by JimKing »

Usefull gizmo from Gammatronics for a tenner to monitor battery voltage when garaged and to check dynamo charging.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6v-12v-24v-P ... 2749.l2649

Doubtful at first but checked the accuracy of the programme #3 (6V) on my variable voltage psu this gave the following:
7.6v and above red/green flashing (Overcharging)
6.7v to 7.6v green steady (Charging)
6.3v to 6.7v green blinking (Bike parked)
6.1v to 6.3v yellow blinking (Battery Low)
6.0v to 6.1v red blinking (Battery even lower!)
below 6.0v blank. (Battery dead!).
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Battery Voltage Monitor

Post by Steven.Carter »

I like that, thanks.

My only guide to battery charging is my satnav going blank.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI i think paul goff does one like that but i think he is a lot dearer than the one on ebay and i think his one does not do 6v i think they are a good idea 8-)
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Jim i see they do a waterproof one as well, save time doing it your self 8-) and is the light on all the time wen you fit it :?: and how do you change the voltage from 6v to 12 v :?: and what is the size of the hole you need to fit it :?:
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

I've bought one for the SQ4 - not so much point fitting one to the magneto equipped bikes.

I'll let you know how it goes.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
JimKing

Post by JimKing »

Hi Johnny, I don't want to appear to be selling the device as I have no connection with the seller but to answer your points....
The light blinks green when voltage is OK. Consumption is said to be .5mA probably far less than the self-discharge rate the battery. Device automatically detects when battery is charging. Small button is used to programme and once you get your head around the instruction it becomes simple. Short press cycles through the programmes, longer press cycles through 6-12-24 volt setting. The hole for mounting stated to be 14mm is too small I think more like 14.5 or 15mm. Pic of my "non-invasive" installation attached. Didn't want make a hole in my NH350. I used a plastic plumbing compression fitting sleeve and tie-wraps! Ideally should be wired direct to the battery but I used the ammeter battery terminal.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Has it been useful to see it while riding? I may mount mine in the front of the battery box.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Jim i am going to get two of then one for my 6v NH and one for my sports van that likes to eat one of the two batteries :? :shock:
JimKing

Post by JimKing »

Yes, very useful. I like to ride with headlights on and to avoid too much strain on the dynamo I fitted LED's all round (about 2 Amps total). I then fitted an AGM battery. These hate overcharging and I was getting near to 8 volts. When the Lucas regulator voltage was set in the garage (6.8-6.9 volts when charging) all was well but after 10 miles or so I got a discharge on the ammeter. Turned out the regulator is temperature compensated and mine is located in the tool box. Far from ideal. As the temperature in the box rises during a run the regulated voltage falls below the charge level. Now that problem is solved main use is to tell me when the solar panel needs to be connected.
Maybe someone knows how to adjust the temperature compensation in the Lucas mechanical regulators.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Jim i have fitted all LEDs to my 350 NH and a V REG regulator and a GEL Battery my regulator is in the tool box like yours but i leave the top of the regulator off to help it keep it a bit cooler 8-)