Removing Square Four Mk2 Cylinder Head

Singles, twins and fours.
graham brookbanks

Removing Square Four Mk2 Cylinder Head

Post by graham brookbanks »

Does anybody have any tips about the easiest way to remove a Square Four cylinder head with the engine still in the frame? I remember doing this with my dad many years ago, and it was nightmare trying to juggle the studs in the cylinder head past the forest of studs poking up from the block. I suppose the obvious ting to do is to remove one or two or more studs, but I'm worried about removing them and getting them back in without stripping the threads. And is it easier/better to remove head studs rather than block studs? Any tips gratefully received (but please don't say I should take the engine out of the frame!)
Thanks
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Removing Square Four Mk2 Cylinder Head

Post by dave.owen »

You will need to remove two rocker box studs on one side to pull the head across once clear of the head bolts
AOMCC Treasurer
harry.thompson

Post by harry.thompson »

I do not to remove any studs at all. The trick is obviously to avoid damage to fins. Remove the tank and the carb/inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, etc....and the nuts holding the head in place. This is 30+ nuts and the 18 on the head. You can leave the spark plugs in place and turn over the engine to see if compression will start the separation. Otherwise use some care and discretion and get a small gap but I am not advising on how you do this part. Penetrating fluid may also help. Once there is daylight between head and block, feed a couple of ratchet straps through and round the top frame tube. This will give you a nice even and progressive pull off the studs. It works for me but every engine is different. Hope this helps.
Attachments
cylinderhead-8-20141116_130032.jpg
cylinderhead-8-20141116_130032.jpg (8.13 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
graham brookbanks

Post by graham brookbanks »

Thanks, Harry. Lifting the head was not the issue (although I do appreciate your advice on this). The problem I had was juggling the head out from under the frame tube. I think Dave's solution of removing two rocker studs is the best solution for me.