Pre-1960 Classic Vehicles to be Exempt from MOT Test

Bikes or not. Whatever
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Pre-1960 Classic Vehicles to be Exempt from MOT Test

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi everyone,
Heard on Planet Rock radio today that UK Government has decided to exempt pre-1960 classic vehicles (incl. motorcycles) from the annual MOT test from 18th November this year. Done a bit of internet trawling this evening and it has been reported from several sources including the following Classic and Performance Car News Link :-
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... he_uk.html

Happy days everyone ?

All the best,
Keith Mettam
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

Watch this space, how long before the powers that be talk about restricted use.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
chris.vredenbregt

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

I have always been suprised by this MOT test for motorbikes ,you keep them in good condition for your own safely ,right?
All motorbikes are free of MOT tests in holland aren,t we lucky???? Chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

This must be one of the least thought out bits of legal waffle and possibly presents the biggest threat to our hobby for a long time.
I think most bikes are in a reasonable state but how many pre 1960 100mph wrecks of cars are there lurking in lockups and barns that will now find there way back on the road with rusty chassis, rusty brake pipes etc . The resulting accidents will bring about the usual knee jerk reaction of serious restriction on the use of pre 1960 vehicles.

Ian
Dave.Thomas

Re: Pre-1960 Classic Vehicles to be Exempt from MOT Test

Post by Dave.Thomas »

Wot he says ^^. There will be people abusing this new ruling , either out of mechanical ignorance, meanness, genuine lack of funds etc
It's not as if Mots cost a fortune.On A recent mot on my BSA , the mechanic pointed out that the sidewalls on my front tyre were just starting to crack and would need changing by next Mot, this sort of thing could be ignored now by those wishing to.
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

Thinking about this subject , knowing this government for it's venal, corrupt, backhanding ways and their obsession with privatisation, that they may have already done a deal "behind the scenes" with the insurance industry to outsource the MOT on old pre-60 cars and bikes, to someone like Kwikfit, Halfords etc, one or more of the tyre/battery/accessory type people to carry out annual, allegedly less demanding, old vehicle "friendly" "inspection" , in lieu of the Official VOSA MOT test, without which you won't be able to get insurance ?
Carried out by some spotty youth with no qualifications, experience or knowledge, paid minimum wage of course, whose engineering knowledge extends to usually fitting wiper blades and batteries ( badly!) and for which a new class of V5 "Collectors Car or motorcycle" will be compulsory?

Ian
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

I think we got this perk on the back of the classic and vintage car lobby. They have a lot of rich influential people in their ranks. "More power to their elbow" I say. Keith
Davidmeachen
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Davidmeachen »

Some conflicting views and opinions on this subject. Well I guess we'll find out the truth of the matter sometime in November. As for my opinion, all I would say is that the government does nothing without a reason and you can guarantee that this piece of legislation (IF it becomes law) will have been fully considered and will no doubt benefit the government more than us vintage bike owners/riders
Dave
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Theres's got to be a catch in it.
Synically yours,

keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Any thoughts on how we are going to apply for age related plates now we have no road worthiness inspection?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com