ariel ht 5 trouble

Singles, twins and fours.
nicolas.carrie

ariel ht 5 trouble

Post by nicolas.carrie »

hi
i'm french, and i'm riding my ht5 on local trials contest.
i'm really fond of this machine, but i had serious trouble last month.
i fitted a few months ago a morgo pump.
three weeks later, during a trial contest, i had a seizure, while i was running on a track, at very low speed...curious.
then, i stripped the engine, the seizure was at the back of the piston...but nothing suspect, advance timing ok, jetting ok...
how can i test the pressure ball?
morgo recommend to remove it, mine is still here, but looks blocked, because i cannot move it, even when i use air comp trought the hole...is it normal?
does removing it requires special tools, or special tips?
in all cases, i want to congratulate you, because hte new forum is very intersting and usefull
cheers
nicolas
ben.mitchell

Re: ariel ht 5 trouble

Post by ben.mitchell »

Bonjour Nicholas
A morgo pump is good on a MkII square four as the original pumping system was unrelaible, the piston pump fitted to singles was fine so I do not understand why people fit a morgo to a single. John Bradshaw has also had problems with a morgo on a single, I recommend to return to the standard system. Where in France are you?... we will be on our square fours in the Toulouse area from next weekend if I can be of further help.
Ben
nicolas.carrie

Post by nicolas.carrie »

hi ben
thanks for your reply.
well, actually, i don not think that the problem is the morgo pump, i suspect the ball to be blocked in the crank feed pipe.i 'd be nice if you could explain how check and dismantle it.
i leave close to toulouse, in a little village called NOE (31410)
i'll be on saturday , you'll be welcome if you want to visit us.
on sunday, vintage trials close to MARMANDE
cheers
nicolas
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Hi,

This is from an owners manual.
Do you have one ? There are a couple in the library:

http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members ... Guides.htm
oilpressure plug.jpg
oilpressure plug.jpg (132.81 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
The plug should come out with a air of long nosed pliers. Just grip it and wiggle it. Catch the ball bearing and spring.
Maybe replace the spring with a new one ? Clean replace. Replace the plug the same way, i.e. push home with pliers - should be an interferance fit.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
nicolas.carrie

Post by nicolas.carrie »

thanks
i've just removed the hole system.
after cleaning, the problem is that , once fitted again, the ball still blocks in the feed pipe when i pull on it through the plug hole...
morgo recommends to remove the secondary timing case check ball valve and spring...are they those ball and springs ?
cheers
nicolas
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

I fitted a morgo pump to my NH after last summers riding being ruined by the return side of the piston pump blocking whenever I tried to do a long run. I did remove plug , ball and spring. mine defied pulling with pliers so I drilled it out. (the inner caseing was off the engine so swarf was not an issue) Since then all has been well with the engine.
nicolas.carrie

Post by nicolas.carrie »

well that's the way i'll go, i think.
i'll try without ball...and see.
thanks very much for your interest.
i'll have a lot of questions in the future, because few people in france rides ariel bikes, unfortunately..
i'll have to look for an alloy barrel sleeve, because dranganfly does not supply them anymore.
and i poject to buy another ariel, vh 500 in road trim, because this engine isreally pleasant, and sounds great in the south french country :D
cheers
nicolas
ps every ariel rider will be welcome at home ;-)
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

My 51 VH had the return side of the pump block via the ball in the crankcase. I was riding my bike to a job in the wrong direction and did a u turn in the road and wondered who had that big bonfire!! it was me. Anyway I removed the ball and had no problems since

Steve
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hi all, this ball in the crankcase was that a later fitment intended to keep oil in the engine in case of oil problem ??? I seem to remember reading that somewhere a long time ago. Could be that it is in Waller.
If all is o.k. in the oil pump department there is no reason to have it in there.
On the subject of morgo, I did have a rotary on my '51 VH, and yes it went bang with a ruined bigend.(and wasted a good camshaft)
I now have a reworked morgo Triumph plunger pump, more then good enough for the VH IMHO
Vincent
nicolas.carrie

Post by nicolas.carrie »

hi
well i rode the bike yesterday on pre 65 trials event, and everything works fine!
so , many thanks for your help
cheers
nicolas