Engine bolt hole query.

Nick_Edgley

Engine bolt hole query.

Post by Nick_Edgley »

One advantage of the ghastly health situation and restricted movements is that I have finally found the time to continue dismantling my 1960 Ariel Arrow!

As with all these things the more you look the more you find and the machine has much evidence of bodged repairs and maintenance. I have now got the machine dismantled. With the engine on the bench I have a pair of bolt holes underneath the crankcase on the nearside with nothing attached nor any idea what they are for and also a single bolthole beneath the offside cylinder with nothing in it although on the other side in the corresponding position there is a bolt! Any ideas whether the empty bolt holes should have something in them?

Bear in mind the picture below is with the engine inverted.
P1050587a.jpg
Finally, apart from Draganfly are there any other useful suppliers of Arrow parts that people can recommend?
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Engine bolt hole query.

Post by Ivor Collins »

High Nick

The pair of holes underneath are for the side stand mounting plate so, unless you’re lucky enough to own one of those much sought after items, you won’t need to use them.

The tapped hole at the front is not needed on the Arrow but attaches a support for the body panels on the Leader. However, as it is a through hole into the crankcase, it’s normal to blank it off with a bolt just in case you lose any crankcase pressure there. Beware to carefully measure and only use a bolt just long enough otherwise it can protrude through onto the barrel spigot with disastrous consequences.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

Magic.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello, Re the spares, AOMCC spares run by John is a good source of spares and information.

There are a number of people who have spares for sale + some who make new items. They usually post on either the Facebook Arrow/Leaders site or the new Yahoo site. They also bring spares to Stafford , the Annual Rally and the Auto jumble ( when they are not cancelled ).

Brian H.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

YOU Will have to join the AOMCC to get club spares it is well worth doing :?:
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

Thanks for the replies. I am a member of the AOMCC.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

But you need to registered to the AOMCC to unlock to get access to the full club web site :!:
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

I must be being a bit dense. I joined the AOMCC and have a membership number I don't understand what more I need to do?
roland robinson

Post by roland robinson »

Hi Nick,
You need to send an email to admin quoting your name and membership number to gain access to all the forum
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Nick:
Also (and you may well be aware of this already), this is the Club forum web site, the AOMCC web site itself (as in the 'Home' link above, or click on the AOMCC logo in the web page header) has a members area which needs password access, password details for this are in every Cheval.
(Apologies again if I'm stating the bleeping obvious.)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)