WNG Gearbox

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

WNG Gearbox

Post by alan.moore »

Going through the various gearbox changes during production... in late 1942 a drain plug for the main gearbox shell appears in the parts list 3343-42 but the spares number for the main gearbox shell remains the same as the earlier WNG ones (which incidentally is listed as being the same as the prewar civi CP box shell) part number 3001-33.

The casting / part number of the 'non drain-plug' shell is 1CP/M4 (IV) . If anyone has a shell/gearbox with a drain plug fitted can they let me know what the part number is. It should be on the front of the case by the upper slotted casting
SDC12964.JPG
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: WNG Gearbox

Post by nevhunter »

Alan I've checked 3 cases Cast Number is in a different place (Lower down on front)... 1/CP M(over)4 with another 4 under that (indistinct on one) all with drain plug from original. Nev
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

nevhunter wrote:Alan I've checked 3 cases Cast Number is in a different place (Lower down on front)... 1/CP M(over)4 with another 4 under that (indistinct on one) all with drain plug from original. Nev

Cheers Nev

So like the following (is it a 4 or an IV)
SDC13288.JPG
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Like the bottom one. No roman numerals but the I/CP is as I have here, a forward slash. ALL 3 the same. Nev
andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by andyhughesflattankarielpre25 »

Here are a few I found this morning.
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

some more,hope they are of interest.
Attachments
010.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Nev & Andy

Thanks for the info.
Andy...quite a collection!!

So all this info confirms there was a change in part number for the box with the drain plug

Just out of interest can you both post the gearbox serial numbers for those with the drain plug. And Andy, if you could identify which gearbox serial number is for the box with the Y suffix included in the cast number.

Thanks again for the help

Cheers

Alan
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I don't have anything but the main cases. The outer cases could have been changed at any time. I have managed to buy 2 NEW Military ones over time.
THOSE cast in numbers often have no recognisable significance . It's on a pattern for many reasons. Could be it's done at a different foundry or a special batch or an extra run. (so you can trace a batch)
Also,The middle and outer cases are MATCHED but not polished in any way . Just coarsely" fettled" near the mating faces as a pair where the gasket goes. New ones have NO stamped Numbers. The alloy Primary drive cases are (as cast) as well and treated a similar way . I've always just left them "as original".. You can't get a polished one back to that Nev

Hi Alan,the Y box is the one that has the number on, it does have the drain bung in,all the rest are as Nev says as cast finish and some even have grind marks in them and not cleaned at all.I have a couple of matchless ones that are also rough finish.Hope this is of interest.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

i was thinking because they were making for the war effort to save time did not fit it and think the bikes would not come back wen they have done their job like the little motorbike that they drop out the airplanes that was made for one job and dump