Making the 650 HunterBird

Anything about Ariels
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Making the 650 HunterBird

Post by tonyh »

Well, we are all trapped, so there's no excuse for not visiting the shed and playing with the next Victim.

I picked up a late 50's Ariel rolling Chassis just after Xmas and its been sat on the bench for a month or three waiting for the weather to warm up. The plan is to put a Triumph 9 stud pre unit dynamo motor and gearbox in that's under the bench from a Triton I had. I took it out of the Norton frame to make the bike back into a Norton a coupe of years ago.

Not one for originality. Some of you may have seen my VNH V twin Ariel last year in Cheval, I though it would make a nice sort of special. Sorry its only 50% Ariel but you have to use what you have and I have a lot of bits to use up.

I started a couple of weeks ago and if anybody is interested in progress I will post reports as it comes along

Tony Harris
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Making the 650 HunterBird

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

keep us posted i like to see how you get on with it the triumph engine will make a good bike and reliable and easy to get parts i done a sq4 with a harley engine but now i was thinking of doing one like you are with a triumph engine to make a fast runaround 8-) :)
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Yes, keep them coming !
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Me too :D I'd love to see how you get on
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

I'm struggling to post pictures at the moment to go with the story so will try again tomorrow.
Tony
Attachments
P1040269.jpg
BobWard

Post by BobWard »

Turns the right way up when I click on it and is looking good. Bob
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

So it does Bob. I will give more details tomorrow.
Tony
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

That is looking good start!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

As you can see the wheels are not the original ones. It came with the FWH Ariel wheels. They had alloy rims and new tyres. However, the tyres we quite old and as most people know, the original front brake was not the finest and with the Triumph 650 engine I need to stop.

I spotted an ebay a late 2018 Enfield EFI 500 front wheel complete with disc, spindle and speedo drive. It also had a new Avon Roadrider tyre, all for £80.
To go with this I ordered a new master cylinder, calliper and hose from India delivered free for £69. This is what you now see in the picture.

I striped the forks out and found new legs, bushes and seals. While the forks were out I machined the inner part of the steel bracket on the drive side leg square to the leg and spindle. This was to make sure the calliper mount I made bolted parallel. The bracket is mounted in three places including clamped to the wheel spindle. I has a piece of HE30 in stock and this has worked out great as hopefully the picture shows.
Unfortunately the wheel is green, I can live with this for the time being.
Attachments
P1040270.jpg
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Tonyh i like the disc brake with out changing the forks you have mad a good job i must have a look at later bike wheels i normally change the forks to use a discs brakes i did not think about the later Enfields because all the old Enfields i have got are drum brakes keep up the good work 8-) :)