Making the 650 HunterBird

Anything about Ariels
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Making the 650 HunterBird

Post by tonyh »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:So a question; the milled alloy cup on one of the last pictures, is that a cover for the oil filter ?
Hi Vincent.
No its nothing to do with the bike. I owned BT-H magnetos which I sold on in 2011. This is an end cap of one of the mags which just happened to be in the picture. I was keeping some nuts in it
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

Hi Allan
The ES4 is a long story. I made this motor after the VNH. I made the frame for this to based on an Eglie. This motor works out about 1100cc and flew. The cams and a lot more were very different. I fitted a Harley starter on this to, another long story. The problem is the bike is all new and you have to jump through so many hoops to get a log book so it sits there in the shed.
One pictures this post is about my latest thingy
Attachments
P1030371.jpg
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

Nice to see it coming along tony you have been a busy chap
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

Yesterday I sorted the exhaust. When the engine was in the F/bed frame I used a Triumph Siamese front system, but altered a little with a Triumph silencer.
I plan to use the same on this bike to. However, when I came to offer it up the tail end of the pipe hit the frame.
The silencer I used wouldn't fit very easy as well. A trip to one of my sheds found lots of old pipes and silencers to play with. After a little planning I pushed the bike off the bench and propped the drive side on a piece of wood so I could see where the main stand was when it was up. I knew the pipe/silencer had to miss this. I also like my exhausts to tuck in well.

After a little cutting and welding I am pleased with the result. Its not the sort of thing you can order from Armours.
Attachments
P1040331.jpg
P1040330.jpg
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Neatly done Tony. You will be finshed by the start of next month at this rate.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

tonyh wrote:Hi Allan
One pictures this post is about my latest thingy
Point taken, Tony.
Thanks for the taster - the ES4 must be worth a thread on its own at some time.

Allan.
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

The next thing is wiring. I have plenty of connectors and wire so thats the next task. I will also fit winkers.

I did a long build for the Norton owners club about the ES4 . I didn't think its quite right to do this on the Ariel clubs forum, sorry.

Some of the HunterBird has been powder coated before I got it, the rest I have hand painted with smooth Hamertite, It stops it going rusty I suppose and I'm not a polisher really. I will go and play later today, I have some other jobs first non bike related.
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

tonyh wrote:
I did a long build for the Norton owners club about the ES4 . I didn't think its quite right to do this on the Ariel clubs forum, sorry.
No need to apologise. I've found your thread on the NOC website. I've been a member there for years but generally only look at the Commando forum.
A bit more reading....... :D
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

Great Allan enjoy.

This afternoon I had a few jobs to do. First I made my new £14 Enfield speedo a bracket to hold in the top yoke. Don't laugh or take bets on how accurate it will be, or how long it will last. I have no idea how the original Ariel one fitted as all me previous and current Ariels were later ones with Nacelles.

I also drilled a hole in the yoke for a better clutch cable run. Yesterday I knocked up an alloy oil gauge mount to fit under the r/h top fork nut. I like to have an oil pressure gauge, it just lets you know whats happening. The Motor had a Morgo pump fitted some years ago and always holds good pressure.

I made a couple of brackets to bolt on the old front Nacelle mounts, These hold my front winkers. The headlamp shell is not the correct one but I have
Attachments
P1040340.jpg
P1040339.jpg
P1040337.jpg
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

I am quite fortunate as I have plenty of toys to play with to make parts. Some I bought back from my factory when I retired. There I had CNC machening centres and this made life much easier for some jobs. I can still make lots at home, but the old way with rotary tables and dividing heads etc. I have a large vertical miller with readouts, a Harrison lathe, again with readout, plus presses and enough tooling and material to make a space shuttle. I also have welding equipment etc.

Here are a few pics of my little machine shop.(sorry about the mess, I do clean it after I have finished every day.) I have a couple of large sheds as well, both with tools and a bike lift in one. I am fairly self sufficient and can produces stuff fairly quickly. So far it's taken me about 4 weeks on and off because its a special. If it was a std bike just to assemble its a shorter time table if its all been done.

I have made a wiring start so will do a bit more tomorrow.
Attachments
P1040336.jpg
P1040335.jpg
P1040334.jpg