Pixie

Anything about Ariels
Coxp

Pixie

Post by Coxp »

I'm rebuilding a Pixie for a friend but there are very few resources available for use with it (I.e. none). It came dismantled and so I'm using a parts book and pictures on the internet to piece it together. However I've got a couple of questions. Firstly should it have a horn? The parts book shows one but I've never seen one on a bike on the internet. There is no horn push or a place on the wiring harness for one. Obviously this will depend on the law at the time of manufacture but the web doesn't seem to have any knowledge in this respect. Secondly the parts book shows a 'bracket' inside the frame between the steering head and the headlight. What is the purpose of this bracket? Nothing appears to be attached to it. I thought it might be a stiffener for the frame but the frame is double skinned here and has the steering tube running through it. Therefore it is probably the strongest part of the frame anyway. Any help from current or previous Pixie owners would be much appreciated. Thank you.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Pixie

Post by simon.holyfield »

It would be good to get a Pixie thread going. I know nothing much about them but find the little bikes strangely fascinating.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Yes, interesting small Ariel.
I saw one at the 2018 Rosmalen autojumble and a loose engine at Central Classics in 2017 :
Rosmalen jan.2018  (22).JPG
Rosmalen jan.2018  (21).JPG
English registration FYX 35???
Central Classics Apr.2017  (3).JPG
Central Classics Apr.2017  (5).JPG
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by tony.barnett »

I've often dreamed of a fleet of Pixies arriving at an Annual Rally riding in formation and colour order.

Don't know why...

If anyone has a Pixie they want to give me please let me know. Maybe my dream could come true.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI they are a nice little bike i had a couple of them before i had a driving licence and they was good fun to me they remind me of a small ariel arrow good luck with getting it done 8-) :)
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

That is a nice little motor, very compact!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

The engine was a BSA engine, used I think in the Beagle. UK Pixies had a 50cc variant - the Beagles full
75cc was fitted to export Pixies. Val Page's original engine design was not used - Turner's revenge perhaps.

There is an interesting story on the Pixie's development in American Motorcyclist Apr. 1964:

"Teams of young apprentices from the factory could ride 6 early production models in a round-the-clock
marathon in the rugged hill country of Wales. These intensive tests continued on a 24-hour basis for
two weeks and gave a true picture of the ability of the machines to stand up to hard riding by comparatively
inexperienced young riders. The test team operated under instructions to ride hard, and in the period ran
up a total mileage figure of over 30,000 without mechanical failure."
rein.heerkens

Post by rein.heerkens »

Does anybody know where I can find ignition parts for the Pixie?
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI I think that will be a EBAY job to find the parts or put a wanted ad in the old bike mart paper or put a post on this forum under parts wanted and i think you will find what you need
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

rein.heerkens wrote:Does anybody know where I can find ignition parts for the Pixie?
Specifically what are we talking about? Ignition parts are likely to be proprietary (Lucas or Wipac for example) and will have been used elsewhere.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com