lubrication

Singles, twins and fours.
BrianReynolds

lubrication

Post by BrianReynolds »

Hello all from a cold white Canada, I am currently completing the restoration of a 1939 NH and a 1951 KH as part of an estate of a friend recently passed away. I have worked on Brit iron for over 40 years, but limited experience with Ariels, so any assistance appreciated.
* Gearbox oil, the manual states grease, seems a little archaic, is this still the best option? I was thinking a thick oil?
* Primary cases, recommended lubrication for the chain?
* Speedometers are missing from both bikes, tank mounted, presumably chronometrics? if so which type?
* Ignition timing setting for the KH.
* Amal float chamber on the NH is sloped according to the carb angle, is this correct or should it be a specific float chamber angled so it is actually upright? ( if that makes any sense)

Thanks
Brian
Attachments
IMG_5524.jpeg
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: lubrication

Post by nevhunter »

Gearbox.. I mix gear oil with the grease so it churns visibly running on the stand. Primary, gear oil for cush drive life. Pass on panel speedo .KH (twin) has an automatic advance Set 32 degrees on full advance. Carb bowl should sit vertical to the ground You can't bend diemetal.. That timing cover looks like a Twin 500 one. Nev
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

If you put neat oil in the gearbox,youd better have a big tray to put under the bike.And be proficient at roller skating on ice ,when the chain spreads oily goo on the back tire.
Sean.O'Brien

Post by Sean.O'Brien »

Brian,

The float chamber shuld be a 1J. You can use the amacarbs.co.uk website to check all the details for your model and order spares if required. 39 NH should typically have a 80mph PA speedo, but that will cost you a significant amount of money. Also check the number of teeth on the worm drive on the layshaft and the speedo drive, as they are all related. KH should have a chronometric, but I can't remember the number. If you are a club member then you can obtain the spare parts lists from the Ariel Owners website, so you have the part numbers and diagrams for components you are missing. I agreed with all the other comments.
Spares Co-ordinator - Ariel Component Parts
admin

Post by admin »

BrianReynolds wrote: * Gearbox oil, the manual states grease, seems a little archaic, is this still the best option? I was thinking a thick oil?
* Primary cases, recommended lubrication for the chain?
* Speedometers are missing from both bikes, tank mounted, presumably chronometrics? if so which type?
* Ignition timing setting for the KH.
* Amal float chamber on the NH is sloped according to the carb angle, is this correct or should it be a specific float chamber angled so it is actually upright? ( if that makes any sense)
Gearbox oil. With nev. 50/50 mix of semi-fluid grease and engine oil, even if it has the later seal on the output shaft

Primary. Any oil you like really. Some folks use old engine oil. Ask 20 people you will get 20 different opinions

Speedometer.. Dunno Club only has 50's onwards smiths list. Parts lists only records ariel part number

Timing. 1951 book says 1/4" or 30 degrees advanced :
http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members ... eTwins.pdf

Float chamber. with Sean and nev. There should be an angled float chamber to hold it pretty much upright
BrianReynolds

Post by BrianReynolds »

Many thanks for the very helpful replies, as for sliding on an oil slick I live in Canada, driving 5 months of the year on snow and ice, so I should be ok with that, I do ride year round but on a Ural and sidecar in the winter. One more question for you learned gentlemen, on the NH I am connecting the oil lines from tank to engine, which connection on the engine is the oil pump suction, top or bottom? I can't see any obvious marks on the casing. Thanks again. Brian
BrianReynolds

Post by BrianReynolds »

Ok, answered the question, found it in the owners manual. Thanks anyway.
admin

Post by admin »

BrianReynolds wrote:Many thanks for the very helpful replies, as for sliding on an oil slick I live in Canada, driving 5 months of the year on snow and ice, so I should be ok with that, I do ride year round but on a Ural and sidecar in the winter.
me too !
I knew there were others equally afflicted
ural.jpg
complete.jpg
cj750 27-10-19.jpg
BrianReynolds

Post by BrianReynolds »

Absolutely, about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.