Paint Colour--again!!

Singles, twins and fours.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Paint Colour--again!!

Post by robin.parker »

Hello folks,
My '57 VH is an "earlier restoration" and has, over the years, aquired a collection of chips, dents and scratches, which present little difficulty in fixing--except!
1) finding a decent, identifiable, Automotive/Agri/Industrial/ or BS Paint colour to replicate one of Ariel's various versions of "Deep Claret" "Burgundy" or Maroon. Your suggestions would be most welcome, and I'll investigate all.

2) deciding what Paint type to use, bearing in mind that when doing small repairs I have had "pickling" occur whe using Cellulose primer, so I might have to use a Sealing coat. And--finding a paint that is not (too much?) affected by our nasty modern petrol.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Robin.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

have you checked out the Drags web site for colour match

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Thanks, Dave and John, I'll have a look at RAL3007 then and Leyland Hunter Red. I see that an Online supplier "Autopaint St Helens" lists "BARCOAT" in 400ml Aerosol cans, if they can mailorder, then that will solve my pickling or paint incompatibility problem. I'm trying to avoid dismantling a very serviceable bike just to tidy up the paintwork, I'm hoping to get where I want a bit at a time, especially as the paintwork on the Frame is not at all bad.
Cheers, Robin.
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Paint Colour--again!!

Post by charles.bulloch »

Hi, all.

I got some RAL3007 coach enamel mixed by Tractol and painted my headlamp with it. I compared the newly painted headlamp with an original item, the rear of a toolbox, which was t-cut. I could see the original paint had a purple tint compared to RAL3007.

I intend to visit England this summer and will bring down something to be measured and matched with a spectrometer.

Has anyone tried this?

Charlie
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Hi Charlie, Where did you go to get Tractol mixed to the RAL Number? I didn't know you could get Tractol mixed but certainly rate it as good paint, and it is ---fairly---solvent resistant, so may not be too vulnerable to today's vile paint-stripper/petrol.
As regards Spectrographic Colour anlaysis, I'm not sure there really is a right colour, as Ariel swapped suppliers so often, it helped their cashflow!! I really can remember back in the 50's and 60's, various mates' Ariels of very similar ages being different shades, and they certainly had not been repainted.
Robin.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

I have some cellulose RAL3007 and it was a pretty good match to the paint behind my hub.
I got some stays, from drags, in original colour and it is a slightly different.

if you are going to paint an entire bike, then as shades varied from bike to bike, then you're probably ok.

http://www.smithandallan.com/tractol-paint.aspx
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Paint Colour--again!!

Post by charles.bulloch »

Hi, Robin,

http://www.tools-paint.com/product/1_Li ... T318PANEL1

You can supply a RAL number.

I suppose shades differed between batches. But I would like a better match than the RAL paint I have. Has anyone tried spectrographic analysis? Since I will be in England this summer (Stone Roses in Manchester) I am going to continue south and will have access to analysis for coach enamel. Does it work?

Charlie
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Update./
I now have an 400ml Aerosol of RAL3007 cellulose which is a very good match for my bike's paintwork, this and a 400ml Aerosol of "Barcoat" which is a Dutch Sealant or blocking coat that allows cellulose to be sprayed over an otherwise reactive under coat without "pickling". Both delivered to my door overnight from-- AutopaintStHelens--for £20.00 inc p&p, good service or what? I've also ordered a litre of Tractol RAL3007, for less than £12.00 delivered, which means I can now paint away to my heart's content, I'll tell you how good the Tractol is after it's arrived, meanwhile, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
admin

Post by admin »

Is the tractol paint the enamel one, right ?
I'd be dead interested as to how good it is.

My synthetic paint is now dissolving in petol as well ... on my 1940 enfield .... have to get some matt varnish or something ...