what model is my 1947 ariel?

Anything about Ariels
wayner

what model is my 1947 ariel?

Post by wayner »

I have just bought my first motorcycle which is a lovely ariel, but i am unsure to what model it is. It looks like a hunter to me but is there a code on the bike i can check?
Wayne Martin 1934 twin port VH, 1927 Model E Supersport,1959 Triumph 5TA Bobber,
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Wayne. The timing cover might have letters, VH, NH. These are the hunters, 350 and 500.
Otherwise, there are a number of differences, which might require removing the sump cover or carby to confirm.
The engine number will give a clue and a photo would also help.
Both Hunters had 20" front wheels.
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

What year is it, if its an Iron engine ,the 500 has a 1" flange on the bottom of the barrel, the 350 less tha 1/2"

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The Hunter's are the top road models and have some "extra" features The main difference in the singles is the steel flywheels ( Up to about 1953?) polished ports, 20" front wheel. tank colour?
post war engines have NH, VH on the magneto chain drive case. The prewar ones have RH 350 and RH 500 . These can easily be changed though.
The main thing is the steel flywheels. You can check these by removing the rectangular cover on the bottom of the engine and having a look at the flywheels the steel ones are polished with rounded edges. While you are there remove the sludge trap bolt carefully with a 7/16 Bs or !! mm spanner may fit tighter. and clean it out. Remove the sludge . It is a hollow bolt, and the sludge can be quite hard. If you have just bought the bike and you are not entirely sure of it's service history, remove the oil tank and clean it thoroughly. Often there is a lot of settled sludge on the bottom of the tank, that is not obvious till you have a bit odf a dig at it.
Ensure the grease in the gearbox hasn't gone hard. It needs to flow to get around the gears. ADD thick oil if you are in doubt. This is all worth doing but don't let me scare you off. Happy riding. Nev
brenton.roy

Re:

Post by brenton.roy »

dave.owen wrote:What year is it, if its an Iron engine ,the 500 has a 1" flange on the bottom of the barrel, the 350 less tha 1/2"

Dave
Hi Dave,
That's an interesting one. I have a couple of thin flange 500 barrels - like the 350. I don't think they're either common or desirable!
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

They could be early pre war???????????

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
wayner

Post by wayner »

Engine number is bk4642 I'll take some photos in the week of the bike. It says on the v5 it's a 350 and it's a 1947.
Wayne Martin 1934 twin port VH, 1927 Model E Supersport,1959 Triumph 5TA Bobber,
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

BK prefix were originally 500/600 crankcases. 1947.

I believe singles crankcases are interchangeable, although the sidevalve has a "drainhole" above the camgear and the later ones turn that into a threaded hole for the fifth barrel stud. Someone correct me if I am wrong here ...
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Just checked the BK is a 350 from 1947, frame should be AP or BP

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

After a certain date in the 30's.( To do with the primary chaincase) I think they will interchange right through till the last. The 1951's have a different "Look" under the platform that the cylinder sits on. I'm not sure if the sidevalve tappet chest drain hole lines up exactly with the VHA and later stud. The VCH has 6 (six) studs holding the barrell on, so it's noticeably different. Nev