Rim Painting - Square 4

Singles, twins and fours.
SamWilson

Rim Painting - Square 4

Post by SamWilson »

I am ground up restoring a 1952 Square Four. I have completely rebuilt both hubs, received new spokes to spec from Buchanan's in California (I am in Texas) and have had the rims re chromed, ready to relace.

Before I did that, I notice in many photos the centers of the rims are painted with a gold stripe. I plan to paint the bike black. Black frame in powdercoating now. Black seat. black tank and black fenders.

Can anyone shed some light on the actual placement of the stripe? And I see most are red, but with a black bike, would it be acceptable to paint the centers in black with gold stripe?

The more important question is what is required to paint over chrome and have it stick? The rest of the bike will be two stage base coat/clear coat. And I would prefer to do the same layering the gold strip under the black for the rims. But I am very worried about the paint sticking on fresh chrome. And am very nervous about the thought of lightly blasting the center area to scuff it for paint.

I have seen one post from 2012 discussing use of etching primer, but someone else said that did not prevent the flaking.

Can someone tell me from experience what specifically was done to prep the chrome rim to receive a colored center stripe?

Sammy
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Rim Painting - Square 4

Post by simon.holyfield »

It's not much help, but I asked the plater not to polish the centre of my rims, prior to plating. They were fairly rough from corrosion.

The two-pack I put on has been fine these last 6 years.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

Mask off the area you want to keep shiny which is from edge of the centre ridge outwards. Then rough up the centre ridge around the spoke holes with emery. Use etch primer as your first coat then build up the paint as normal. I strip the masking tape off when the paint is touch dry but not fully dry. I use the gold lining to overlap the edge of the central colour. Black tank bikes had black rim centres with a 1/8" wide gold line on each edge.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
SamWilson

Post by SamWilson »

Okay I will get some self etching primer and give it a whirl. On my cars with stripes, I just paint the gold first in base coat. Then after a few hours lay down thin line tape where I want the stripe. Of course taping off the part (chrome) to be left unpainted first. Then paint, in my case, the black over the gold and the tape. Then remove the tape to reveal the gold stripe that is a perfect width, and then I clear over all of it. Then with 2000 sand the clear over the stripe and buff out so you cannot feel the stripe.

Very unsure about ability to scuff the chrome enough to get etching primer to stick but if you have done it, then off I go.

Thanks for the input.

Here are the hubs that I will lace into the rims when painted.

Sammy
Attachments
IMG_7954~photo.jpg
IMG_7945~photo.jpg
IMG_7942~photo.jpg
keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith wainwright »

Sammy they look great I especially like the shakeproof washer under the front break lever, good engineering practice. Are you lacing the wheels yourself. Regards Keith