New member, '52 VH500

Bikes or not. Whatever
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

New member, '52 VH500

Post by PeteL »

Hi,
New to the forum and just sent off my membership application to the club.
Delighted to have found this '52 plunger VH
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/downl ... w&id=23544
Not only unrestored, but has been off the road since around 1960 and kept in the same family.
Obviously it'll need new tyres a battery, maybe cables an brakes. What think you about a magneto that's been idle for 60 years ? Last I heard was that "shelactitis" dosn't just affect mags in use. It runs but is being stuck at the roadside when it gets too warn such a likelihood that I'd better get the mag done right away?
I have very pleasant memories of a '38 350 Red Hunter that I rode in the mid '70s. ERL36 where are you now ?
The VH is unregistered but has matching numbers and it totally original so I'm hoping that via the club it will be a sraightforward matter. Hoping to get it sorted for a VMCC event in late April.
Attachments
20200115_150030 (2).jpg
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New member, '52 VH500

Post by paul.jameson »

Welcome to the world of Ariels.

Send the mag off to Tony Cooper for overhaul before you use the bike. It will be the best money you can spend in terms of being able to enjoy the bike. Take off the sump plate and remove the centrifugal oil purifier for cleaning. It may well be ok, but I have known them to be full which costs you a new big end shortly afterwards. To do this, you need to read the Owner's guide which is in the Members section of the Club website. There is much to be said for reading the rest of this guide as well. Follow what it says in terms of maintenance and you won't go far wrong.

Finally, turn up at an AOMCC event. We are, in general, a most helpful bunch and we do know our Ariels.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Pete
Welcome. What a great unrestored bike. Did you by any chance get the old buff logbook with it?
Here's Tony's details (he does not do internet/email). As Paul; says the best for Mag/dynamo recon work and reasonably priced.

Tony Cooper Motorcycles
110, Olive Lane,
Halesowen,
West Midlands,
B62 8LT
Tel 0121 559 2405

Re ERL36 DVLA shows that reg it is now on a Mercedes car :( but who knows maybe the bike survives on an age related plate.

Where are you located/

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Thanks for the advice on the mag. Its what I was expecting, but a couple of people I had asked, suggested it might be Ok, try it and see. Wishful thinking I reckon.
No buff logbook with it.
Glad to see that at least Avon SM ribbed is available in a 20" and that they are thought to be much better these days. Back in the '70s I found the only available onein Bristol, a Micheline in a little bike shop in Stapleton Road.
I'm in Somerset these days.
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

Nice bike Pete, welcome!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
Concerning the magneto; it really is not realistic to expect it to be o.k after 60 years and for the cost of a refurb you can have the assurance that it's not going to be the reason you find yourself stuck by the roadside.

Magnetos are very reliable when properly maintained (which is why they use them on aircraft engines) so, you probably won't ever have to spend again. Also, if your dynamo regulator is dodgy, the electronic ones are great and again, not expensive (iro £50).

Lovely bike. Enjoy it!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
admin

Post by admin »

With paul
  1. Get mag seen to, reinstall (which requires a re-time)
  2. Check oil purifier
  3. Change plug and check for compression
  4. Change oil and then kick over, with plug out, looking for oil return
  5. Try and start it and then go for run ..
Doesn't need electric/dynamo to run but will do eventually .. how hard are those tyres ?
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Thanks, pretty much the list I've drawn up, plus new tyres, plenty of tread on the old ones, but 60 year old rubber, no thanks.
I'm picking the bike up next week.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

welcome petel to the club i have a a 350 that had not run since the late 60s and the mag runs good wen i got the bike i change the oils done the sludge trap and clean the carb and used a remote petrol tank and it started up and run very well then it started to smoke i found the was not returning to the oil tank i got on morgo and got a new oil pump form them and now it on the road with nice new tyres and nice to ride and touch wood i have had no problems with it i think the best thing i do is fit a new oil pump and not mess about rebuilding old pumps the pump is the heart of the engine :!: enjoy your ariel its a nice bike and if the mag packs up then get it done try it first :!: 8-)
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

My first Ariel was a 51 VH. It was a slippery slope after what :D welcome to the club.

Steve