Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

GB gearbox came out in March 1952? Yes the rear frame is shortened. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello John, Great pictures! Thanks!
I am almost sure the seller must have added the frame builders name later during the time it was on Ebay, or I had one of my 'senior moments' -again-
Anyway, what I referred to as looking like ISDT where the two front down tube bolts, not the bottom rails (that I at first did not spot) -another senior moment there...
Nevertheless, a real nice HT that went for a very reasonable price -I think- to a new owner.

Jurgen, just out of curiosity, why only 1 green box ?

Vincent
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: ISDT HT on Ebay ?

Post by david.anderson »

Another oddity about the bike is that it appears to be fitted with 1949 fork yokes rather than HT yokes. This would alter the trail and wheelbase of the bike. The HT headstock is not as tall as the VH so there appears to be some kind of spacer at the top to make up the difference rather than shortening and remachining the Ariel yokes. As the spacer is fitted at the top, the fork staunchions have been pushed higher to engage in the top yoke which has lowered the front of the bike, again altering the geometry. And that appears to be a fairly heavy fork brace.
Another point worth noting is that the ISDT and HT frames had different steering head rakes.
My interest however is in those bottom rails, and in particular where they fix at the rear. Rather than split my engine apart, thanks for the warning, I think that I will fit a set. It is very hard now to keep up with my son on his CRF250 so my HT has been copping a lot of abuse trying. My HT is already fitted with a HS mk3 cam, 8.2 com piston and a 32mm concentric carb. It is hard to match it with a bike that has 12” travel front and rear, and more horses, so I am also thinking about more engine improvments.
Does anyone have any details on where the bottom rails fix. Thanks
David