Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on an Ariel 2020

Bikes or not. Whatever
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on an Ariel 2020

Post by Steven.Carter »

Just cleaning up some stuff before I take the stuff to the blasters.
The 3 small screw that hold the fork shrouds to the bottom yoke were hard work to remove.
20200104_114019.jpg
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Steven it is nice to know it is not just me that had a lot of trouble getting the fork shrouds screws out and a lot of words i cannot repeat getting them out :lol: i thought you was just doing a rebuild and not a repaint as well you have got your work cut out to get it ready for the run looks like a lot of late nights good luck :shock:
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Thinking about it Johnny, this all started with my brake light not working :D
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Steven i know what its like i started with a oil change and clean the sludge trap the next thing i have got the engine apart and now the gearbox apart with bits allover the place you just say i just take this off then the next thing you get carried away then its all in bits :lol: :shock:
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Steven.Carter wrote:The 3 small screw that hold the fork shrouds to the bottom yoke were hard work to remove.
Hi Steven

I have to admit I had one quick try at those and then left the shrouds in situ when I had my blasting / powder coating performed - couldn't see much point in struggling with them. Here's some of the parts ready for the blasting and coating - I remove the paint with a cup wire brush in an angle grinder so as I can check for filler / areas needing work before I send them.
Brushed Parts.png
Brushed Parts.png (141.26 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Regards Mick
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

I wasn't going to remove my shroudes either Mick but one of them was loose on the yoke.
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

I've had a daft day, I'd made a couple of leather saddle covers for my friend Andrew and his S7, he lives in Farnham around 30 miles away so got Black Fly out for the run. After filling up in Four Mark's she wouldn't start. No electricity.
20200105_115910.jpg
I blamed a relay so bypassed the connections and it worked. Result , I was on my way but just a mile down the road she died again. I managed to get myself into a side road whilst I tried to figure out what's happening. I pulled everything apart again and put it back together. It worked again. Now, nothing had passed me on the road for the half our or so I was at the bike but as soon as I set off I managed to to get in the way of a car, how does that always happen. Then the drivers says, what's up? It was fellow Arielist Peter Fletcher, :D thanks for stopping, I could have needed you.
20200105_123844.jpg
To add more insult to this eventful journey she died again around 200 yards from Andrew's place, plus he lives uphill, he seemed to enjoy pushing my poor unfortunate bike up to his house. This time I got behind the headlamp and had a look around in there for something dodgy. Nothing realy. Just maybe my side light. The holder pushed through a rubber grommet but was loose in the rubber so I had used some sticky tape wrapped around it to increase its diameter. But I'd used some foil tape, I wonder if that was shorting it a bit. Anyway I got back home with no further trouble.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Steven motorcycle wiring has got it in for you you need to make it solar power you are good with that :lol: :lol:
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Yes, definitely my Achilles heel. When I wire up WE I'm going to try very hard to get it right.

Just ridden down to Southsea, I've a job on a hovercraft but for once some excitement, it's on one that's in service so I get a ride to Ride on the Isle of Wight :D
20200106_092330.jpg
https://youtu.be/6nxG7Ci-Y7c
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi Steve,
Happy New Year!

I'm glad to see that your still out and about, albeit suffering with the electrics!

here's wishing you a year free of electrickery!

:mrgreen: Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate