Square Four

GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Square Four

Post by GuyWalton »

I now have it registered . It isnt finished as I am not happy with the paint so Tank, Mudguards are going back to the painters to be finished properly . I also have hard panniers , ex triumph , that will go for paint and be re-fitted . Top picture is before reg with panniers fitted .
Attachments
IMG_20191030_160252.jpg
IMG_20191222_125428.jpg
IMG_20191222_125457.jpg
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Square Four

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI its a nice looking square four looks nice and light and smart i do like it better without the panniers you have done a nice job of it 8-)
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul_Linden »

I like what you have done with the front brake, was it difficult to do?
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by GuyWalton »

Paul_Linden wrote:I like what you have done with the front brake, was it difficult to do?
I do have a lathe and engineering background so it wasnt difficult but I did get help with a drawing of the centre that i had to turn up from this forum . I welded a new brake stop to the fork leg that then needed the inside to be ground to make it true then a full width hub rim and spokes and another brake hub and plate . Sounds more difficult than it was but without the equipment it would be impossible .
JohnnyBeckett wrote:HI its a nice looking square four looks nice and light and smart i do like it better without the panniers you have done a nice job of it 8-)
I have a 55 BSA DB500 gold star for my short runs this is for a few tours so panniers are going on but they are quickly removed if needed . I made the pannier brackets so that only two nuts and bolts either side takes the lot off . But first its new paint and striping I painted the said items myself so that I could get it inspected for registration , everything else is powder coated , the paint work will be done by the end of January I will repost a picture when it is done .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R
GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by GuyWalton »

Paul_Linden wrote:I like what you have done with the front brake, was it difficult to do?
Oh it also needed this which took a whole day to make .
Attachments
IMG_20191130_215400.jpg
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Guy i was going to say they are good for going touring and they will look better wen painted and a nice bit of work in making the twin breaks and cable splitter its a credit to you 8-)
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi
Very nice square 4 I had a 59 square 4 and fitted the same shaped panniers on it but found the wind caught them and it was not very happy and also I was not as well so removed them a lot better without them so take care with that lovely bike ,Clive
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi can you not tun the panniers round to stop the wind hitting them flat on and let the wind flow round them and stop the drag :!: :?:
john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.bebb »

Paul_Linden wrote:
I like what you have done with the front brake, was it difficult to do?

Yes, Guy; - a v. nice conversion to full width 2LS (the whiffle tree looks a bit industrial but shows a considerable amount of machining effort)...

Paul - I've used a Grimeca 9" full width 4LS - one advantage is that NO mods to original forks required - the anchor arms secure to the mudguard studs.
I admit that it doesn't look quite so "period" / could be original as Guy's - but it's probably the most powerful brake one might fit without any mods (& without being so "crass" as to fit discs...), also (when correctly adjusted) it is light and very progressive in operation... exceedingly powerful.

Cheers, John
Attachments
Handlebar cables.jpg
Brake lever.jpg
Grimeca RHS.jpg
Grimeca LHS#1.jpg