Trying to trace owner of a Leader

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
MikeHurst

Trying to trace owner of a Leader

Post by MikeHurst »

I purchased a dismantled Leader together with many other parts most of which are in poor condition, with a view being able to build one machine.. (now started)
At some time in the past the vin plate was removed, presumably when the body was repainted years ago.

A tax disk was on the shield EBA995C and a search on DVLA show that it exists but is untaxed. Does anyone know if it's possible to trace first owner from the registration number to get the history of the bike. I do know it was taxed in Stockport, Cheshire, but that's all.

Rgds Mike :?:
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Trying to trace owner of a Leader

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Hi Mike
This is never straightforward, you need to be prepared to dig around a bit and hope you get lucky along the way.
I assume you've got a VIN recorded somewhere, my first step would be to get a dating certificate (from the AOMCC, VMCC or Drags) for details of the factory spec and who it was supplied to.
Using the reg. no, also check to see if any of the old local authority registration records still exist anywhere. One of these links should help with finding which office allocated the original reg. no.
https://www.drivearchive.co.uk/regcodes.htm
http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf
This site has details of which records survive from the various offices and where they are archived.
http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales
(If you think there are any records you might have to arrange a visit in order to examine any archives in detail.)
I think the DVLA will provide a certain amount of data from the computer records - but only locations and dates of changes (or so they told me). I was advised to use form V888 but you might need to show that the bike is in your name - I'm still not completely clear about what they offer even after reading all the notes and talking to them over the phone....

Hope that's some use - best of luck!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Hi Simon

Thanks for your advice, I will try those options to see if I can get anywhere.
Just to make life difficult the body I have has no VIN plate & I have no record of the engine or body numbers.

DVLA will not provide any details for the number other than those displayed on the web site.

Oh Well

T :| ks Mike
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

No documented numbers??!! :shock: :roll:
There must be an engine number, and as the VINs and the engine numbers are the same for these (when they leave the factory) I'd be getting the dating details for the VIN that goes with the engine and see if that ties in with the allocation details for the registration number and the DVLA details on the web site (always assuming that it's got the B suffix for a late Leader to start with - but you're probably on to all that that anyway....).

Edit - the gearboxes have a month/year code as per the 4-strokes which would help check if the engine/gearbox is right for the year that the DVLA have....assuming you do have an engine with all the bits!
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 57&p=61419

SG

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Hello Simon

I have made a little progress, using the Kithead site you suggested. I was able to request details from the Salford records office.
They have told me the dealership which first registered the bike (Billy Briggs in Salford) They also gave me the vin number ((T3266218) There are four engine's with the parts I bought None have that vin number, however I will double check and look for the gearbox numbers.

The only other details I have so far, the tax expired in 1984, but a V5 was issued in 2004 ? Which I find odd.

Anyway I will keep trying.

Rgda Mike
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Hi Mike
That VIN you've been given has been mis-interpreted (not difficult if it's in someone's handwriting although in some cases the machine number is mis-read when the records are created).
It should be a B at the end, not 8 (that could mean that some other numerals have been mis-read also).
However, congrats on getting that far with it!

Edit (again!)
You might not have seen the build/VIN info on Drags website
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/2-stroke-in ... nformation
T326621B seems to fit in with one of the last Leaders built in the first half of 1965. As you know who it was supplied to the dispatch records can probably confirm the VIN - possibly someone here might help with that info 'cos there are some around with those details!
Those VIN plates are often taken off for a frame re-paint and then lost - I'd think you're now in a position to establish the factory number and possibly to eventually get a V5 with the original registration number, although I think you mentioned earlier that you're in France so maybe the UK reg isn't much use!

SG

paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Simon is certainly right when he says that the VIN number has been mis-interpreted. Two stroke numbers went up to around 36,000 so the number you quote, even with the 8 translated as a B, is too big by a factor of 10. I have looked in the Despatch Books for obvious matches, dropping a number here and there but nothing so far tried has come up with the dealer name you mention. All combinations tried so far lead to Arrows, of one sort or another, apart from one which was a Police Leader which went to a totally different dealer.

The mystery continues.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Hi Paul

Thanks for your help, I am awaiting a response from the Salford records office having asked them if they could recheck the number they have quoted. I will update once I have a reply.

Rgds Mike
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

has the frame got no number stamp on it we have a old van that had no paperwork we got on to are club they look at van and 4 weeks later they got us a logbook and age related number we was trying to get it off dvla but got nowhere till the club done it for us
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Hello Paul
I have received confirmation that the vin No T326621 (t) or (b) is correct form official records made at that time.

Looking as if I will have to give up on this one, I have five engines but non of the numbers are close to the one.

Thanks for your help.

Johnny, not sure what you mean by "frame" as the leader dose not have a frame but a body.
There are no markings at all on the body.

Rgds Mike