My "Trials " Bike

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: My "Trials " Bike

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

or you can just cut the mudguard shorter so it doesn't flap around 8-)
fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by fpassmore »

That is a really lovely looking motorcycle. It is a good example of what you can make out of your bits sitting around with a little effort and imagination. Would love to have such a Trials machine.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Starting on full advance will be an interesting experience......I remember as a child I always started my Ariel with the pedal in the gap behind the toes,when it kicked back ,it didnt hurt so much......I wasnt allowed to wear my shoes riding motorbikes,they were for special occasions......Thats probably why Harleys had the bicycle pedal type kickstarts.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

It does look like a nice bike.
With regard to the gearbox, it is probably genuine HT. The HT Ariel (except for the first few produced which were fitted with a GB11) used the inner Ariel gearbox case and the outer cases from the AMC box. The AMC outer cases align with the holes in the Ariel inner case, but 1 extra hole has to be drilled and tapped. When you look at the drive side of the bike you can see that the Ariel inner gearbox case is used as the wide case for the top fixing bolt for adjustment is clearly visible. The AMC box used slotted engine plates for adjustment and the top fixing bolt in the inner case was narrower. The Ariel clutch is used except as there is no clutch pushrod adjustment on the kickstart case, The clutch diaphragm has a threaded central adjuster.
When it comes to the frame it may be original. I have not seen a reproduction frame that has the bolt on stay to the top shock mount. The reproductions all seem to be a welded in bar and many have the oil in frame.
However I would question the right hand footbrake and right hand gearchange?
David
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

i thought it was a bit odd that the brake and the gerr change ara on the right maybe the frame was made for a later bike wen the the brake is on the right and the gear change is on the left like in the uk did in the late `1970s :?:
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

john.whiting wrote:Starting on full advance will be an interesting experience......I remember as a child I always started my Ariel with the pedal in the gap behind the toes,when it kicked back ,it didnt hurt so much......I wasnt allowed to wear my shoes riding motorbikes,they were for special occasions......Thats probably why Harleys had the bicycle pedal type kickstarts.
An SR mag with no advance/retard works just fine in a trials bike as you dont need full advance to ride sections and it is a better mag than most easily available ones.

Ian
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Thanks ,Ian for that interesting bit of info.....I have boxes of the SR mags salvaged off small motors....I know the pukka black plastic endcaps are available to replace the tin end used on the industrial mags.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Those "modern" magneto's( IF it is one) have the advance built into them electronically (hall effect?). Not done mechanically. older Speedway stuff just has the "fixed" BTH magneto. Perhaps they start easier on alcohol on full advance as you can "usually" start them just pulling the back wheel. Nev