Coker Tyres

Anything about Ariels
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Coker Tyres

Post by brenton.roy »

I don't seem to be able to get a 3.00 x 20 Avon. The tyre guy says they are are discontinued.
While this might be code for "we don't have them in stock", I need to buy something.
He does sell Coker tyres.
Has anyone tried this brand?
Thanks in advance, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

That brand "coker", has been around for quite a while. My association has been with beaded edge tyres. What bike do you want to fit them,to? Can you use the 'trials universal" pattern . Nev.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Nev, it's to replace the ageing front on a VH, so I'd prefer to go with a semi ribbed tyre.
Any new tyre is probably going to be better than what I have. This is the tyre - http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/20300
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

I have dunlops on my ariel probably made in china ,but they do a great job, I do not know if they are available in england?
...chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Chris, I'll look into them, but I need them to be available in Australia!
regards, Brenton
chris.vredenbregt

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

sory I overlooked that you are in australia,but maybe you can find them there good luck Chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

No worries Chris, thanks. There must be more available than I have found so far. I'll keep looking.
regards, Brenton
david.anderson

Re: Coker Tyres

Post by david.anderson »

Brenton
I believe EuroBrit in Melbourne keep 300 x 20 Avons. Locally try your local Vincent owners club who will know a source or may have their own stock that they have imported. Vincents run 20” front and rear.
12 months ago I walked into a local bike shop to hear the owner complaining about an odd size Avon tyre that had come in with his order. That odd 300 x 20 is currently on my NH and I only paid $120 for it.
David
adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Coker Tyres

Post by adrian.hannam »

Hi Brenton, thought I replied to this last night, but anyway a few years ago I ordered an Avon Speedmaster via Ebay UK. It wasn't insanely expensive, about $230 delivered I think. A quick looked showed them still available and the exchange rate would be better now. I was told that cokers are good for display vehicles - they make a good replica vintage tyre for cars, but they were not recommended to me for a motorcycle ridden in any weather. The ones Eurobrit stocked at the time were race compound, expensive and short life - for their vincent customers I suppose. You could have my old one, plenty of tread, but starting to show cracks. Although I didn't trust it, its probably ok for the type of riding I do. Maybe I should put some boot polish on it? regards, Adrian
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

I have no idea of the cost of carriage ,but I looked on Ebay last night and Vintage tyres of Beaulieu still list Avons , C Wyldes will sell you a Mitas ( Barum) semi block pattern and also the Coker.. I have a Mitas on my VH and it seems fine but never seen a Coker.