Re: 1946 Ariel NG Project

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Hello Eero and Vincent thank you! Yes I have both the bottom and top clamps :D
Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

Paul Slootheer wrote:Hello Eero and Vincent thank you! Yes I have both the bottom and top clamps :D
Yes, nice to hear.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Again some progress on the Ariel NG Project... Compared with other Ariel projects in the past, this one is a less straight foreward job. When I mounted the crankcases into the frame I came aware there where some serious problems concerning straightness! As you can see on the photograph the engine plates where all over the place. It took some time to straighten the frame but all is now solved. The petrol tank was another major challenge because it was totaly shot en rusted through. At the end I managed to get it ''leak-free'' and tested it with 10% ethanol petrol.

As you can see on this moment I'am busy with some panel beating

to be continued :D

Best regards!
Attachments
61eb7eac-65ec-4bac-a13c-faca4ab0641c.jpg
1f417bd3-5f72-4b05-8a46-00ff632c3691.jpg
IMG_1832.jpg
IMG_1852.jpg
IMG_1910.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

Paul, Very nice work - it's inspiring me to get started on mine - which is a twin to yours.

Mine was also delivered 29 Dec. 1945 to the Netherlands Relief, but it has the low frame (yours appears to be WNG ground clearance frame).
This one is Frame BP2356 with NG1 engine BK12??. Bennett wouldn't give me the last 2 digits as AOMCC is afraid that people will go stamping their own numbers. :(

What is your frame number and engine number?

I will probably build this with a VH engine as I have most of the parts and crankcase CK4230 - that is the path of least resistance, but would love to find the original engine. It's always interesting to know the history of the original. Somehow this frame ended up in California, but have no idea where the engine is. Or the CP gearbox.

Here's mine with a few weird parts... Still looking for rear engine plates.
Attachments
20210530_171036 (1).jpg
1937 Guzzi GTV, 1939 VH bitsa, 1947 VH, 1981 Guzzi Monza, 1983 Guzzi Lemans
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Doan,
you have 3 BA gearboxes, some would be happy with only one!
So when looking for a CP box you have some nice swap material.
Given the value of NG Ariels I dont think one has to worry about fakes by engine or framenumber.
Engine number is on the crankcase twice, second stamping you find on the left hand side case between top and first down tie bolt holes on the front.
When mounted in the frame this second number is almost not visible because it's behind the left hand front engine plate.
When the engine plate tin covers are on the bike you can't see them at all.
On your picture I see the right hand side rear engine plate, the one with the magneto platform, so that one you have.
Succes and keep us posted! you have some work to do but these 350's are very worthwhile to get back on the road again, lovely machines.
pictures show my Netherlands Relief NG from November 1945
DSC00728.JPG
DSC00725.JPG
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Interesting to learn that Shawn's NG has the std frame and with prefix BP because the 1946 350 models are listed with AP or BP frame prefixes and all the other models are only listed with the BP prefix. I supposed that the AP was used for the W/NG frames that were still being used but they are numbered in the same sequence as the BP frames and the prefixes are not shown in the despatch book so it is not possible to be sure. There are 69 bikes with AP prefix in the register, all bar one are 350's and most are NG. There are 354 BP prefixes but this was used 1946-48; 134 are from 1946.

Shawn's original 350 engine is not listed in the club's register and your VG engine was originally in a bike sent to Belfast, a truly international collection. I once did a dating certificate for an FH, the engine was from the only Cyclone sent Malta, while the frame had been sent to JoMo but the bike was currently in Australia, now that's what you call a bitsa!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

Interesting stuff! It's even more international - the Belfast crankcase I got from a Canadian in Vancouver.

Nice looking bike Vincent - love the pictures. This will be built as a VH so the plan is to use a BA gearbox. One of those boxes is pre-1946 Sq4 (old Burman numbering) but feels a bit light so some gears are probably missing! I will build 1 'box with the best parts and trade the others.

And yes, there are rear engine plates but they are a wreck! Fixable, but wonder if it's worth it...
20211010_110823.jpg

The tank is a PA style, but will probably fit a 1951? style non-panel tank.
Last edited by SEDoan on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

Roger, do you have a date for the Belfast engine CK4230? It is probably Feb or March 1947, but don't know for sure.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It was May 1947 to McIntyre Brothers supplied without a panel for some reason, perhaps they had one in stock!
All tanks from at least 1933 onwards will fit all plunger/rigid frames, only the s/arm has different spacing.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.