Making the 650 HunterBird

Anything about Ariels
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Making the 650 HunterBird

Post by tonyh »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:So a question; the milled alloy cup on one of the last pictures, is that a cover for the oil filter ?
Hi Vincent.
No its nothing to do with the bike. I owned BT-H magnetos which I sold on in 2011. This is an end cap of one of the mags which just happened to be in the picture. I was keeping some nuts in it
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

Hi Allan
The ES4 is a long story. I made this motor after the VNH. I made the frame for this to based on an Eglie. This motor works out about 1100cc and flew. The cams and a lot more were very different. I fitted a Harley starter on this to, another long story. The problem is the bike is all new and you have to jump through so many hoops to get a log book so it sits there in the shed.
One pictures this post is about my latest thingy
Attachments
P1030371.jpg
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

Nice to see it coming along tony you have been a busy chap
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project. Vch replica, 28 model E
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

Yesterday I sorted the exhaust. When the engine was in the F/bed frame I used a Triumph Siamese front system, but altered a little with a Triumph silencer.
I plan to use the same on this bike to. However, when I came to offer it up the tail end of the pipe hit the frame.
The silencer I used wouldn't fit very easy as well. A trip to one of my sheds found lots of old pipes and silencers to play with. After a little planning I pushed the bike off the bench and propped the drive side on a piece of wood so I could see where the main stand was when it was up. I knew the pipe/silencer had to miss this. I also like my exhausts to tuck in well.

After a little cutting and welding I am pleased with the result. Its not the sort of thing you can order from Armours.
Attachments
P1040331.jpg
P1040330.jpg
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Neatly done Tony. You will be finshed by the start of next month at this rate.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project. Vch replica, 28 model E
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

tonyh wrote:Hi Allan
One pictures this post is about my latest thingy
Point taken, Tony.
Thanks for the taster - the ES4 must be worth a thread on its own at some time.

Allan.
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

The next thing is wiring. I have plenty of connectors and wire so thats the next task. I will also fit winkers.

I did a long build for the Norton owners club about the ES4 . I didn't think its quite right to do this on the Ariel clubs forum, sorry.

Some of the HunterBird has been powder coated before I got it, the rest I have hand painted with smooth Hamertite, It stops it going rusty I suppose and I'm not a polisher really. I will go and play later today, I have some other jobs first non bike related.
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

tonyh wrote:
I did a long build for the Norton owners club about the ES4 . I didn't think its quite right to do this on the Ariel clubs forum, sorry.
No need to apologise. I've found your thread on the NOC website. I've been a member there for years but generally only look at the Commando forum.
A bit more reading....... :D
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

Great Allan enjoy.

This afternoon I had a few jobs to do. First I made my new £14 Enfield speedo a bracket to hold in the top yoke. Don't laugh or take bets on how accurate it will be, or how long it will last. I have no idea how the original Ariel one fitted as all me previous and current Ariels were later ones with Nacelles.

I also drilled a hole in the yoke for a better clutch cable run. Yesterday I knocked up an alloy oil gauge mount to fit under the r/h top fork nut. I like to have an oil pressure gauge, it just lets you know whats happening. The Motor had a Morgo pump fitted some years ago and always holds good pressure.

I made a couple of brackets to bolt on the old front Nacelle mounts, These hold my front winkers. The headlamp shell is not the correct one but I have
Attachments
P1040340.jpg
P1040339.jpg
P1040337.jpg
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

I am quite fortunate as I have plenty of toys to play with to make parts. Some I bought back from my factory when I retired. There I had CNC machening centres and this made life much easier for some jobs. I can still make lots at home, but the old way with rotary tables and dividing heads etc. I have a large vertical miller with readouts, a Harrison lathe, again with readout, plus presses and enough tooling and material to make a space shuttle. I also have welding equipment etc.

Here are a few pics of my little machine shop.(sorry about the mess, I do clean it after I have finished every day.) I have a couple of large sheds as well, both with tools and a bike lift in one. I am fairly self sufficient and can produces stuff fairly quickly. So far it's taken me about 4 weeks on and off because its a special. If it was a std bike just to assemble its a shorter time table if its all been done.

I have made a wiring start so will do a bit more tomorrow.
Attachments
P1040336.jpg
P1040335.jpg
P1040334.jpg